Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bare shaft vs. fletched arrows.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bare shaft vs. fletched arrows.

didn't even check yet. Will do it just to see what happens.

Shane
Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
bigcountry

You might have a slight weak reaction. You could try to move your rest slightly see what happens. 40yards is pretty far for that type of tuning.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your bow is shooting bullet holes already, do you REALLY want to open up this can of worms?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 AM

At 40 yards it could be anything, did you start closer and work your way back? If not that is scary! I start at about 10 yards and work my way back making small adjustments as I go. If making rest or nock adjustment doesn't seem to effect anything I usually figure its a spine issue and start messing with that.

Try it at 10-20 yards and see what happens. If you are hitting on for elevation at 40 yards I bet you will be off up close for nock location.

At 40 yards though that could be your grip as well as tuning.

Paul
Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul, I have a great back stop, and was prepared for the worstI have never even tried it once, curiousity just got the better of me and I went for it. So, If I am shooting good groups, bullit holes at 20 yds. is it worth me messing around with my set up. Meaning could I get it that much better?

Shane
Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 PM

What is your ultimate goal? If it is hunting with fixed blade broad heads I would just put some heads on and see how those work, then tune from there. Shooting bullet holes through paper at one distance is not exactly the holey grail of tuning. It is a nice start sometimes, but no where near the end in my opinion. I don't even bother with it most of the time, I just skip to the next step usually. If you are going to shoot fixed blade heads just go head and broad head tune.

If you are not going to hunt or don't plan on using fixed blades I would either group tune or bare shaft tune, but I wouldn't start at 40 yards away. That is a LONG way for bare shafts. You better have great form, well matched arrows and very good weather conditions to be doing that sort of testing.

My opinions anyway.

Paul