Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Default RE: Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

pse nova no cam, just wheels, easton 2117 with tru glo sight (very cheap sight)and pse rest. WOW that was a bad A** bow. Kisser button no peep. I missed like 3 deer in one year. I upgraded immediately after the season ended.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

My grampa made a bow and a couple of arrows and gave it to me for my 3rd birthday. He had to make another bow every six months or so until I was 6. Then he gave me a pocketknife and told me to make my own. Kids could do stuff like that in the 50's.
Arthur, it was still going on in the early 70's also. I was 5 and made one from a willow branch and some bailing twine. The arrows had self nocks and had robin feathers as fletches held on with masking tape. Mom got a little worried though and made me put balls of tape on the arrows I made. I got a hold of some blue house paint and gave it a nice paintjob. Most kids were busy with GI joe, I was busy trying to kill the neighbors cat....
Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

My first real bow was a Bear Whitetail II in '93. I got a doe that season and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first bow was a bear recurve my dad gave me when I was 7 years old, and after I watched that first arrow fly out of that bow I never spent another year of my life without a bow in my hand!! Walt
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first bow was a recurve that I friend of mine let me barrow and then the next Christmas I talk my parents into a new compound. A Bear Blacktail hunter with fiberglass limbs and a magnesium riser.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

a youth model parker challenger...go it for my 13th birthday. i still have it to. going to give it to my kid someday
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first bow, besides sapling/string or suction cup types, was when I told my parents I wanted a bow for hunting for Christmas (around 12-13 yr old). I got this:

I camo taped it up and became a terror with rabbits and small birds. Later, 21-22, a gentleman at my church offered to loan me a bow to use since I was still interested in hunting with one. It was a Whitetail II and I spent HOURS at the local shop trying to get that thing tuned and get proficient. I was shooting instinctive and they told me it couldn't be done. I got real good with that and my first week hunting shot a basket 5 pointer. I took the bow back to the gentleman and went and ordered a XI Legend Magnum and used it for 14 years before switching to recurve.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 AM

Well Mine was a fiberglass Ben Pearson Jet recurve with a quiver full of Misc wood arrows. This was his bow that my grandparents bought him as a kid. I used to shoot that thing until I couldn't pull it back anymore. The beginning of my archery addiction.

Now my first compound was a 1988 Golden Eagle Target bow that was brand new and purchased from one of my dads coworkers who was a golden eagle staff shooter. He sold it to us for $100 and threw in and arm guard, shooting glove, and a half dozen easton aluminum autum orange arrows and a set of broadheads. The bow had white wood limbs and a red sparkle bass boat type finish. I still own both these bows actually, and plan on passing them on to my kids someday. Lots of great memories with both those bows.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Mine was aone-piece, solid wood Browning with wheels thatI won selling things in FFA as a freshman. Too bad I didn't realize at the time there was such a thing as a left-handed bow. It was a righty, and I needed a lefty. Learned to shoot it anyways, and as a reward for my dedication my parents bought me a Martin Bobcat for Christmas. Dad took ovfer the Browning, and we had alot of fun. I guess that was along about 1985...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine was a white fiberglass bow with the rubber cup arrows. I replaced one of the cups with a steak knife and a string for retrival I did bleed and still have the scar to this day [X(]