Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

Last night, Mythbusters had a world class blood hound on the show. They tried to fool the hound using several tactics:

The 'suspect'took a shower and the hound found him.

The 'suspect'put pepper on their scent trail and the hound found him.

The 'suspect'used cologne and coffee as coverscents onhimself and the hound found him.

The 'suspect'walked through a populated downtown and the hound found him - with some difficulty.

This was their opportunity to try Carbon Clothing! ...but they didn't. It does reduce my confidence in the concept of cover scents.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

I'm betting I could wear scent-lok and shoot the hound.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its all in the shoes. I heard he wore the same shoes...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rubber boots and that hound would be toast.

All the hunting gimmicks and marketing hype are ripe for mythbusters or a show like it. I think hunters would really watch a show that put hunting products to the test.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 AM

Ok I am going to say this and be done with it.... carbon scent control is a SCAM and nothing but a SCAM the principle and idea of it works.... but under many many many labs testing it take a constant temp of 400 degrees F for 10 mins to reactivate carbon molecules.... meaning your dryer has to go up to 400 degrees not sure what Maytag does that, but I knowI am pretty sure my clothes will melt at that temp.Just thought you should know
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Ok I am going to say this and be done with it.... carbon scent control is a SCAM and nothing but a SCAM the principle and idea of it works.... but under many many many labs testing it take a constant temp of 400 degrees F for 10 mins to reactivate carbon molecules.... meaning your dryer has to go up to 400 degrees not sure what Maytag does that, but I knowI am pretty sure my clothes will melt at that temp.Just thought you should know
Fair enough.....

25. because it costs more than I want to spend (i.e. it's crap).

11. Snake Oil

22. Sure
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.amrg.info/in_search_of_scent.htm

Some facts that may just surprize you.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 AM

I have seen a dope dog sniff out a nickel bag wrapped in plastic wrap, duct tape, packed in coffee, and surrounded by ammonia-soaked rags. That dog was a Malinois, good luck fooling a Lab or Bloodhound.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

All the hunting gimmicks and marketing hype are ripe for mythbusters or a show like it. I think hunters would really watch a show that put hunting products to the test.
I'd love to watch a show like that. Good luck finding a hunting products manufacturer to sponsor it though.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM

They did this on the local news one night in Minneapolis during deer season. A female reporter showered using the scent removing soap and sprayed herself down, then donned several different carbon suits made by different manufacturers in several tests. In each test, she hid in on of many boxes throughout and obstacle course and in each instance the dog found her almost immediately.

But they even admitted a trained dog is not the same as a deer. So they did treestand tests in the woods in high traffic deer areas. Those were inconclusive. Some spotted her. Some didn't. And who knows for sure why in each situation.

In the end, they didn't prove anything. And I think it will be hard for either side to conclusively prove these suits will work or won't work. I think it all depends on the situation. In the meantime, I'm not going to criticize manufacturers for making them or hunters for using them. If it boosts your confidence, more power to you.

Quick Reply: Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.