Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

for our Search and Rescue class we had some police K-9 instructors/trainers and dogs come in for a day. absolutely awesome.

what did i learn?? those dogs are dang near impossible to fool. we had a guy leave a track all over the place, through a swamp, in a downpour...let the dog go almost an hour later in the down pour and it works with the wind to its back(very hard) and it still found the guy...

wanna know how alot of dogs track??? crushed vegitation and stuff left behind...rubber from the souls of your boots, fibers from your clothing etc etc...plus when we walk we crush the vegitation, even if we dont notice, leaving the dog a trail to follow.

keep in mind these dogs will find 1 marijuana seed in a car...

very awesome stuff...id like to get me a working dog when i get into the field. i could use it for LE and SARs...work out good for me...

but id be willing to bet that dog will still find you no matter what you spray and wear....
Old 06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds likethem high dollar suits are good for only one season if cared for properly. If you truely believe in carbon suits and the above quote has merrit, save yourself some $$ and go buy a military issue carbon suit from the Army/Navy store ($12-15) and throw it away after season.
First post ever in a carbon camo thread. If carbon does actually help that much, those CBR suits we used to have to wear for chemical warfare drills should work great. They were packed with so much carbon that we'd be covered in black smudge when we took it off. I wouldn't wear one during bow season though. Talk about hot.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A blood hound could find where you thought about going. There have been things written about how hounds have trailed someone after down pours,or days after the subject had been through an area.Underwater with a snorkel is about the best you could do against their nose.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Last night, Mythbusters had a world class blood hound on the show. They tried to fool the hound using several tactics:

The 'suspect'took a shower and the hound found him.

The 'suspect'put pepper on their scent trail and the hound found him.

The 'suspect'used cologne and coffee as coverscents onhimself and the hound found him.

The 'suspect'walked through a populated downtown and the hound found him - with some difficulty.

This was their opportunity to try Carbon Clothing! ...but they didn't. It does reduce my confidence in the concept of cover scents.
They did that last year with the carbon suits. The dogs found them every time. They wore rubber boots for some of the tests and they also wore elimitrax. Bathed with the scent killer soaps, put on the sprays and the carbon clothes. Dogs didn't have a problem following their trail.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm betting I could wear scent-lok and shoot the hound.
Im thinkin icould do the same thing!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 'Coon Pee on my boots and had a pack of hounds find me!!! lmao
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hearing all these stories just makes me really glad I don't hunt bloodhounds.
Or bears?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

I have seen a dope dog sniff out a nickel bag wrapped in plastic wrap, duct tape, packed in coffee, and surrounded by ammonia-soaked rags. That dog was a Malinois, good luck fooling a Lab or Bloodhound.
Just curious if the nickel bag was your's lol