Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

How much ya wanna bet she wore the clothes to the test?

Scent-lok or not.....THAT test would have to be run by a "Pro" at scent control (which I consider MANY of the people here to be).

Nancy-nine-o'clock-news ain't no "pro".
Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 AM

Whoa. Never said I considered it scientific. In fact, she did change into the suits at the test and near the woods where they did the treestand test. She was accompanied by an experienced bowhunter who was very meticulous about his scent control and showed off all of his gear proudly, which included many pieces of ScentLok, etc. He just shook of the results and said he'd keep using them. Because, after all, the results were inconclusive. A trained scent dog to a deer is like apples to oranges. And the treestand results were pretty much worthless. There are just so many factors involved that yes, basically someone who really knows what they are doing would have to do it and consider all the controls to make it worthwhile.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Hearing all these stories just makes me really glad I don't hunt bloodhounds.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Huntm Up

Ok I am going to say this and be done with it.... carbon scent control is a SCAM and nothing but a SCAM the principle and idea of it works.... but under many many many labs testing it take a constant temp of 400 degrees F for 10 mins to reactivate carbon molecules.... meaning your dryer has to go up to 400 degrees not sure what Maytag does that, but I knowI am pretty sure my clothes will melt at that temp.Just thought you should know
Sounds likethem high dollar suits are good for only one season if cared for properly. If you truely believe in carbon suits and the above quote has merrit, save yourself some $$ and go buy a military issue carbon suit from the Army/Navy store ($12-15) and throw it away after season.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds likethem high dollar suits are good for only one season if cared for properly. If you truely believe in carbon suits and the above quote has merrit, save yourself some $$ and go buy a military issue carbon suit from the Army/Navy store ($12-15) and throw it away after season.
Nahhh. That makes too much sense. Plus, the guy on TV saidthatthe $200.00 suits are revolutionary! You know in order to be successful, you have to look the part these days!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now I have to start out by saying I'm not bashing orjumping on anyone here!!!!!! and I do not believe in scent loc or any of the other sent cloths out there, But every time I hear about this subject it is brought up about the heat thing at 400 degrees to reactivate the carbon. Here is my quetion isn't scent loc made from ground hair from coconuts?? not carbon!! Walt
Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

They make activated carbon from coconut shells, walnut shells and a bunch of other things, stikbow.

400 degrees is the temp that gets thrown around a lot but, actually, that's 400 degrees C, or some 848 degrees F... which is 200 degrees F more than the melting point of aluminum! It's only about 350 degrees F hotter than the melting point of polyester fabric though.

Some studies show that minimal desorption with activated carbon can occur at temps as low as 100 degrees C. Even that's still a good deal hotter than a household clothes dryer can get.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM

It’s a scientific fact that a deer’s sense of smell is far superior than our own, for example when we smell vegetable soup we smell the soup as a whole, a deer would be able to smell each ingredient individually, meaning a deer could smell the potatoes, carrots, pea’s or anything else that would be in the soup. Wearing Scentloc may cut down your scent perhaps at a distance but the fact remains that you are still in it, meaning you are still putting your human order to the wind, unless every inch of you is covered then you are still putting out odor. Even when you breathe. I’m not bashing scent control, if you think it gives you and advantage then by all means wear it, I’m just giving an opinion.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM

You can buy those active carbon liners from surplus stores for about 10 bucks. Wouldn't that work as well as the scent-loc stuff?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent killer sprays work too. I'd like to see em do a UV killer myth to see if you can get rid of the black light that they always use in CSI and crap.

I love Mythbusters by the way. That show pwns.

Quick Reply: Mythbusters - I think we missed our chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.