Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poison Oak NEED HELP!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 PM

Default RE: Poison Oak NEED HELP!!!!

Scratching it open and putting alcohol or bleach to burn is fine if you don't work and therefore do not have to show you face to anyone. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing, try it. Remember, they used to bleed people when they were sick.

Hydro-cortisone cream or ointment works just fine if applied all day long for a few days. Some of the products mentioned above are great. Obviously, wash the oils off the first chance you get (with a product made for the task) if you suspect exposure. If you think you have it, knock it back with the cortisone right away. For extreme cases, like in the eyes, go get pills or a shot; however taking cortisone internally is not the healthiest practice.

Hunting out here in California forces exposure to poison oak every time out.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

call your doctor and get a medrol dose pack. gone in 5 days
Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife has these "Loofah" gloves she keeps in the shower. Soap them up real good and scratch away!!!! Once you start, you won't be able to stop. It feels SOOOOO GOOOOOD!

New man rule: Loofah is okay only when you have poison ivy or poison oak! [8D]

You'll eventually scratch the blisters open, and you'll be an oozing disgusting mess for a couple of days. But then you'll heal up real nice. I had poison ivy on my belly this summer and that's how I took care of it.

Good luck....
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Since someone else already admitted to the Loofa glove, I'll admit I do the same thing. I scratch the heck out of it and than when I get out of the shower I take rubbing alcohol to it. It does burn - but the itch goes away and it heals up in 2-3 days.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

If you open the blisters, it becomes contagious, that is if itis not dried out.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 AM

Actually, it is not contaigous. It's a chemical and once it's washed away it's gone. It's really more of a chemical burn than an allergic reaction. I get it everytime I use the weedeater around the house, which is a couple times a month. I got tired of paying for Zanfel, but it does work. Now I shower in the hottest water a can stand and scratch open the blisters with a stiff brush. After drying off, I use rubbing alcohol too. It really does work pretty good. I've also had the steroid shot from the Dr. and I haven't had a really bad case since. Now I just get a few small areas here & there.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Guess I am lucky. I used to get it bad as a kid. I don't remember what Mom and the doctors used 40 years ago but I have been immune to poison ivy and poison oak since I was about 15 years old! Hopefully you can take care of it. Seriously if you get it bad enough and enough times the body will sometimes become immune to it like mine did.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

So does the shot help prevent you from getting it in the first place?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had very good experience with a product called Tecnu.Fortunately I don't get it often but when I do that is the stuff I am using.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

If you really want to get rid of it, go get a shot of cortizone from family doctor. It will rdy it up in a couple days.

Quick Reply: Poison Oak NEED HELP!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.