Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poison Oak NEED HELP!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poison Oak NEED HELP!!!!

What does poison oak and ivy kook like. my wife got some thing on her arm that has a bunch of bumps on it and it itheces. Sorry for the spelling
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

This is the best stuff I have found for the bumper crop of Poison Oak found in Oregon

http://www.allergies-asthma-sinus-relief.org/products/poison-oak-soap.php

My son breaks out in the stuff if he just looks at it. The doctor reccomended it last time he got into some and it worked very well. Everytime we are in an area where the Poison Oak is found we make him use the soap to limit his reactions.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Vinegar is a good home remedy that works well. I might have to try the $30 wonder-cream next time I get the itch.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, I'll have to try the Zanfel next time I get it.

My home remedy was to scratch open the blisters and mix Clorox with some water and apply it to the open rash. Burns like heck, but it kills the stuff fast.

(Even though I am completely serious, I do not recommend this to anyone)
Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Try the cream as the others have suggested but keep a close eye on the stuff and how far it is spreading. If you are really allergic to the stuff it can spread to your eyes, into your mouth and down your throat. If it is spreading badly you would be best off going to the Dr. and getting either a cortisone shot or pills.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some info, RWK

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/pictures.html

As for what the rash looks like, it depends on how allergic the person is and and how bad he or she's got it. This group of photo's pretty much covers it all. Some of these folks have got it to the 'just shoot me and get it over with' level. [:-]

http://www.poison-ivy.org/rash/index.htm
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM

I go to the doctor and get a shot, take about 2 days and it's gone.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a side note, for anyone who isn't already aware of this, don't ever burn poison ivy or poison oak and acidentally breathe the smoke. This almost killed a lady that I work with.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 PM

i scrath it all open and but rubbing alcohol on it. it burns for about 20 secs. and it dries up. you cant do this if you have it on your never mind
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Prescription topical steroids from your doctor will take care of it...best used asap. Here is a trick to help you get to sleep. Put a rag saturated with hot water (as hot as you can stand) on the itchy spots. It will soothe them and relieve itching for about 20 minutes to help you get to sleep.

Quick Reply: Poison Oak NEED HELP!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.