Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Practice Games

Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bow Practice Games

I've only shot in 5 3D shoots.......and we shoot indoors at ranges from 10 to 43yds at least a couple of times a week. I'd consider myself the "average" shooter (finished 1st and 2nd ....and worse....in shoots).....and I've never seen one RH'd in competition OR just casual shooting. I've seen "maybe" 4-6 busted nocks in the last 1.5yrs.

To hear the internet talk, though......people do it all the time. I just don't think it's common for the average shooter....and I wouldn't consider you the average shooter.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 AM

my buddy jason and i will play tag sometimes - its a lot of fun. one person starts - anywhere on the target - even the little corners where there is no stuffing, or the very edge. we stand at 48 yds. the next person has to get w/in 2" of the arrow to take over going first. so, if jason shot, and i got w/in 2" of his arrow - i'd shoot another and he'd have to 'tag' it. its very fun to stick an outside or bottom edge and watch him fling one in the dirt. then, we'll do unknown distance where whoever goes first gets to shoot from whereever, then after the round discuss the yardage and how we found it - and then range it. i think shooting for nocks - or referencing where you're going to shoot by a nock - is not too bad practice for 3d.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM

GMMAT, I've RH'd 6 arrows in the last 3 months, and in fact 2 last night. My buddy and I nock hunt quite frequently. We only shoot 3 arrows per round / each so we aren't "stacking them in there." When he and I shoot, I will break, on average, 2 or 3 of his nocks in about 60 shots....I will admit that's the first time I've ever RH'd 2 in one night though.....It really isn't all that uncommon, and not really all that difficult, truth be told. If your equipment is fine tuned, and you are consistent in your shooting, it's not as difficult as you would think. It goes back to that old addage, "Aim small, miss small."

Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

So mobo.....you're admitting that you guys are shooting 6 arrows into one spot???? But that isn't "stacking"?

Nevermind.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM

I don't really call that "stacking" but maybe some would, yes....I would consider stacking 10 or more.....Anyway........enough of that...

I'm just sayin, I bet you would find it easier than you think.....
Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I like to take an old basketball and have someone roll it along a slope at different speeds and zip arrows into it. It is really good practice and the ball stops the arrows really well
Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

mobo:

You're right. If I stacked nine arrows into one spot...I would probably bust some nocks. I just wasn't aware people did that.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago when I did exibition shooting I would put a golf tee into the head of a manican & place a plastic practice golf ball on it & shoot it off at 15 yards & into a target bullseye set behind the manican.
I would put this in my lanes & customers practicing would get a shot at it when they started-the head would get filled with holes over time & when I put on the show I would tell people what I was going to do, show the head I had been practicing with & ask for a volunteer to put the golf ball on. So, golf ball off a tee-bumping off don't count-arrow has to go through it.
I also play a game for hunting-I step out on my deck & shoot ONE BROADHEAD at a target 25 yards away to see if that would be the Killing shot I want.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Tic-Tac-Toe is a good one.

Make the game board on a piece of printer paper and stick it to the target.

Make the spaces as big or as small as you like.

We also play for money.

Same as horse, only we play to a set amount of cash.

Dollar a shot.

If you both make it, you both keep your money.

One of you misses, you owe the other player a dollar.

I get a lot of gas money that way.
tic tac toe is an amazing idea
Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM

These are great! My kids and hubby and I are involved in a youth archery league and I will be trying some of these with them. We have done balloons, shooting through a moving tire, having the kids call the shots and giving them candy bars if they make it. I think having them do different things like that encourages them and makes them more comfortable shooting in a "real" situation.

Quick Reply: Bow Practice Games

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.