Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Practice Games

Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Practice Games

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I believe that.

It's rare...even among great shooters.
It ain't that rare...even among average shooters. Two good buddies and myself used to take a cracked carbon and stand it up on the big range block, which has another on top of it and chop it down from 20 yards. Tried to do it an inch at a time. Not as hard as you might think. If you can visualize shooting at a yardstick stood vertical in the corner...then you can imagine what its like....just not quite as wide. You can be off elevationwise...just not windage wise. Good way to sight in your bow anyway. As for busting nocks....not that tough...espeicially from a slight angle. If you are all shooting from exactly the same spot....thats a little more tricky. But sooner or later you'll get lucky and hammer one.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Swamp:

In your instance....you'e talking about flinging arrow after arrow at a same target.

Sure....stack enough arrows in there....and you're gonna lose nocks.

Take 3 or 4 guys and have them shoot at a 20-40 yd target.....and what's the chances the guys shooting behind the leader actually shoot his nock?

I can "bust nocks" all day long......given enough arrows stacked in the same spot. But let's be real, huh????

It's "rare".....or you're a better shooter than me.....or than I've seen.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swamp:

In your instance....you'e talking about flinging arrow after arrow at a same target.

Sure....stack enough arrows in there....and you're gonna lose nocks.

Take 3 or 4 guys and have them shoot at a 20-40 yd target.....and what's the chances the guys shooting behind the leader actually shoot his nock?

I can "bust nocks" all day long......given enough arrows stacked in the same spot. But let's be real, huh????

Trust me dude....its really not all that uncommon. The guys I shoot with are year round shooters, indoor spots, outdoor 3D and of course hunting and hunting practice. I'm the junior member of the group with regards to age and time in bowhunting (7 years). I may not be all that great, but the guys I'm shooting with are pretty decent.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Not arguing with you swamp. I guess we're talking about two different things.

We shot in groups of 3 or 4 and 0 were broke in my group.
Buckeye won the 3D smackdown at the get-together. I'd hazard a guess that the guys shooting there are a fair representative of hunters out there. They had no nocks busted.

It's just something that's over-stated a LOT (in my opinion). 3 or 4 guys shoot ONE arrow at ONE target.....and move on......and you won't see much "nock bustin'". Or....you guys are that good. Bravo. Congrats.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not arguing with you swamp. I guess we're talking about two different things.
Probably are. Internet Paradox, which is of course when two gents are talking about the same thing, agreeing about it, but still arguing, or when two folks are disagreeing about two different things, but can't tell them apart.... so it goes....
Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 AM

One thing we do when practicing is stand at the target, take your buddies arrows and throw them in every imaginable location (where they could shoot at the target). Where ever they end up is where you have to shoot from. Then keep score of the misses. This will really help with range and arrow path estimating. I have been doing this for 20 or so years.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've played poker before, that was kind of fun...We did it at our indoor range, but if you have a target butt big enough, it could be fun. Basically, tack a deck of cards face down to the target butt and then take turns shooting. Your hand is what you shoot. Someone donated a home made quiver made from buckskin as a prize. We kicked in a couple bucks each to donate to the club for a chance to play.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read through all the replies but judo points and tennis balls make for a fun time shooting. When you hit the balls they go flying, not to mention that you throw your buddy's and he throws your's and you have to practice judging the yardage.

A tennis ball hanging on a string from a tree limb is fun too. You go throw the ball and have to time when to shoot based on the swinging motion of the ball. I recommend judo points for this game too...it helps you keep arrows..
Old 06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have probably "shafted" 30 some arrows while shooting. I do not shoot "groups" either, not at home or anywhere else. One arrow per spot. Almost all of these have been at 3D shoots or while shooting with buddies.

Here is a photo of some of them that I have that I did not split apart to save my arrow or break apart from laying around. I would guess this isn't even half of them in all.

I don't think they are rare, but I do not think they are common for the "average shooter" either.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang buckeye

Quick Reply: Bow Practice Games

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.