Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best early season scent

Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best early season scent

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

ORIGINAL: chazspot

I agree, no scent. To emphasize no scent I will use earth scent spray. Does that count as no scent??
NO, that counts as earth scent!
I'm glad you took that one John, I am trying to be nicer

Happy to help outthe new nicer Germ. We really never had any doubts about you.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody answered my earlier query.

I'm really curious if anybody has an opinion on it.

Earth scent definitely counts b/c most of the times it does not smell like that little piece of the earth you are hunting. If you can smell it then a deer can definitely smell it. I don't use earth scent, but I have rubbed real "earth" on me before.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I tried trails end #307 last year. I would definately say it worked. I had does come way out of their way to get a whif of the stuff. I wouldnt have got my #160 lb doe last year if I wouldnt have been using trails end #307. It came out of the woods into a hayfield 200 yards away, raised its nose and turned and walked directly toward me. I put some on my boots and it came up and started licking the ladder then when it started to walk away I wacked her. I also had a doe that was coming in on a trail 30 yards behind me lift its noise, sniff and walk right to my stand.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

Earth scent definitely counts b/c most of the times it does not smell like that little piece of the earth you are hunting. If you can smell it then a deer can definitely smell it. I don't use earth scent, but I have rubbed real "earth" on me before.

Lebeau... im not sure what kind of area youhunt but iusually hunt hardwoods full of oaks,maple,etc... and i use fall blend as a cover spray as well as hang fresh earth scent wafers off of my hat and bag! Now if i was to hunt in a pine thicket i would lay off of the fall blend because its common sense although i do know people that do it and have no problems! I would however spray and use my earth wafers because it smells like DIRT!!

I also have to agree\disagree with everyone on the scents thing!
Yes it makes complete sense to just leave the area as clean as possible!
I commented earlier that i use buck snort gel because simply it is a CURIOSITY scent and everyone knows curiosity killed the deer ha!
As far as my experience with the gel do i use it all the time..NO.. do i carry it with me evertime i go in the woods..Yes.. Why? Because it works!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Well, I haven't used vanilla as a drag but I have sprayed it at the base of the tree I was hunting from. It worked flawlessly. I had deer come directly beneath me and lick the bark of the tree I was in and also eat the leaves on the smaller trees I had sprayed it on.

I don't use it anymore. I feel like it is mainly an attractant for does.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

Lebeau... im not sure what kind of area youhunt but iusually hunt hardwoods full of oaks,maple,etc... and i use fall blend as a cover spray as well as hang fresh earth scent wafers off of my hat and bag! Now if i was to hunt in a pine thicket i would lay off of the fall blend because its common sense although i do know people that do it and have no problems! I would however spray and use my earth wafers because it smells like DIRT!!

I also have to agree\disagree with everyone on the scents thing!
Yes it makes complete sense to just leave the area as clean as possible!
I commented earlier that i use buck snort gel because simply it is a CURIOSITY scent and everyone knows curiosity killed the deer ha!
As far as my experience with the gel do i use it all the time..NO.. do i carry it with me evertime i go in the woods..Yes.. Why? Because it works!
A friend and I went on a Canadian Bear hunt a few years ago. My friend had sat 2 nights without seeing a bear while I was seeing 3+ Bears a night. The Outfitter (whom I had hunted with several times) confronted me about a musky order he smelled on one of us. He said it smelled like molded or soured clothes. Turns out my friend was using some sort of Earth scent. Next day washed clothes No scent seen 4 Bears and killed a Nice Cinnamon Bear. Coincidence? Maybe, but I still prefer to smell like nothing rather than take a chanve on smelling like something out of place
Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay guys, I agree with most of you on the earthscent and don't use it.
When my human nose could pick out the earth scent wafer hanging on a branch, I gave them up.

My original question was

I've given some thought to the cover scent thing. We have a lot of coons, so that would probably be my choice, especially since they like to climb trees.

BUT, here's the rub, either the deer will pick out my human scent or not. The only way these cover scents would seem to work is if it distracts or otherwise fools the deer's nose, kind of like deodorant without antipersperant or taking a French bath (FYI, dousing yourself in cologne).

But isn't a whitetails nose more sophisticated that that? Would you agree that your level of scent (standing alone) will determine whether a deer is alerted to your presence, regardless of a cover scent? So exactly how is a cover scent going to help if a deer finds the trail to my deer stand?
I ask because I have heard people that swear by using cover scents.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I ask because I have heard people that swear by using cover scents.
They question there is who are they fooling? Young deer or older deer. I have stood within 5 feet of young deer and they just look at me funny.

They may not even know they are spooking a mature deer(buck or doe) because they never see them. It all depends on what age deer you are hunting IMO. I see deer everynight almost, but not the ones I want to shoot
Old 06-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vanilla works VERY good in my opinion. First time i used"Vanilla Killa" it poured out and just after the rain stopped a 6pt came in with his nose to the ground walking in circles for 15 minutes trying to find that vanilla. Ended up being too dark for me to take a shot unfortunately. I recently switched to Xtreme Scents "Vanilla" because you get a bigger bottle for less money and it smells the same. So yes..try vanilla scent, it works..trust me. That story isnt the only time its worked for me. Other than that though, I tried Bucksnort Gel last season and it worked the first time i tried it. I used the apple scent and when a doe walked in she put her nose right on top of the puddle i made with it and kept it there for 5 minutes or more. That was the only time i had that work though.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard people swear up and down about keeping their clothes in a sealed container with fresh earth wafers, and use deer dander for a cover/attractant. Now it seems that most (this thread anyway) don't use any cover scent. Hmmm.... Maybe I need to re-think this.

Quick Reply: best early season scent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.