Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best early season scent

Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best early season scent

I am planning on having Germ send me a t-shirt he has worn for several days in a row to the gym and drag it around. The deer are sure to just give up knowing that nothing but death can await them anywhere the Germ has been.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

What about trailing some cover scent like fox urine?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I am planning on having Germ send me a t-shirt he has worn for several days in a row to the gym and drag it around. The deer are sure to just give up knowing that nothing but death can await them anywhere the Germ has been.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah thats a little confusing
Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have to vote for nothing as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ron3775

What about trailing some cover scent like fox urine?
can I ask why? If you are scentfree than deer can not smell you. Why add an unknow element?

If you are hunting in an area that is pressured and hunter A is using brand Xfox urine as cover scent. Hunter A spooks a deer while hunting, this was the mature deer you were hunting. Now the deer knows brand Xfox urine is bad, and may alter his travel route.

They above may happen it may not, my questions is why chance it?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Joking gentlemen. I was just poking fun at the apparent need some have for scents these days. My thought is to always make as small an impact on the woods as possible. No scents for me.

Was that really that confusing? Oh well, one more wasted joke. Certainly won't be the last.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i personally dont use any besides cover scent
Old 06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Germ

Joking gentlemen. I was just poking fun at the apparent need some have for scents these days. My thought is to always make as small an impact on the woods as possible. No scents for me.

Was that really that confusing? Oh well, one more wasted joke. Certainly won't be the last.
oh no it was funny, LOLand I knew it was a joke
Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far I go with none until around the rut.

I've given some thought to the cover scent thing. We have a lot of coons, so that would probably be my choice, especially since they like to climb trees.

BUT, here's the rub, either the deer will pick out my human scent or not. The only way these cover scents would seem to work is if it distracts or otherwise fools the deer's nose, kind of like deodorant without antipersperant or taking a French bath (FYI, dousing yourself in cologne).

But isn't a whitetails nose more sophisticated that that? Would you agree that your level of scent (standing alone) will determine whether a deer is alerted to your presence, regardless of a cover scent? So exactly how is a cover scent going to help if a deer finds the trail to my deer stand?

NOTE: This is not the high level physics type thing you guys have been prone to discussing with Quick and his speed freak bow.

Quick Reply: best early season scent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.