Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for hunting Pronghorns??

Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Tips for hunting Pronghorns??

Myself and a buddy are going to try something new this year, the keen eyed pronghorn. We are both experenced whitetail hunters, but I have a feeling this is a whole new ball game. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get close to these guys. This is no trophy hunt by any means I am going to shoot the first adult buck or doe I get a chance to, I would like to get one under my belt before I start going for a trophy. We are going to be hunting western south dakota on some National Grasslands. I have hunted them there with a rifle many years ago and i know there is a lot of animals there it is just getting close enough for an shot that will be the problem, anyways thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tips for hunting Pronghorns??

If there are very few water holes in the area, your best chance for success will be setting a ground blind near water and wait, and wait, and wait.. If there is a water hole every 1/2 mile, than all bets are off on that tactic. Next best thing would be use of a decoy, but the rut needs to be in full swing for that tactic to work at all. Then there's the spot and stalk, which is tough at the least. If there are enough hills, ditches, drainages to break up the lay of the land, this is a possibility. If the vegetation has some taller stuff like sage brush that can be used, then spot and stalk is the way to go. Carry plenty of water, because you'll end up spotting one way over there and going after it, then when you blow that stalk, you'll spot another one way over that way, and then go after it, and the next thing you'll know is that you're hot, thirsty and a long ways away from the truck.
I killed a nice buck two years ago and a doe last year by spot and stalk. There is too much water in my area and just enough vegitation and breaks in the lay of the land to allow me to have success. It was the 9th day of my hunt when I got my buck and only the 3rd day last year to get my doe.
Good luck. It's a blast becuase finding them is easy, so you're always in the game.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks Howler, I have been throwing around the idea of the decoy. Just a question for you, you say it is important that they are in rut or this will not work. Do you know if there is a magical week for the pronghorn like the first week of november for whitetail. I have read a lot about the pronghorn rut but the only thing I can come up with is sometime in september. But anyways thanks for the info
Old 06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Wyoming it always seemed to be late september or mid to late Sept. Even in a ground blind you have to be very still as they can see movement from miles away. Make sure you haev the backside closed at all times. I have stalked them if there is rolling hills to hide behind. It is very challenging but it can be done. Our group sat by water holes one day and had some come by but never come all the way in. The other day we stalked and was able to get within range of a few but drawing back is the hard part. One got a shot but mis-judged the yardarge.
Good luck.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Peak of the rut around here is from the last week of September through about the 10th of October. I doubt if it varies much among the different western state that antlelope call home.

Also, you might consider a cow "decoy". We used one of these a couple of years back with pretty good success. I took a slide photo of a broadside cow; and then projected the photo onto a sheet of 1/4" plywood. Traced out the outline and all the features except legs. Cut out the legless cow with a jigsaw. Did a great paint job on one side - complete with a tail and an ear tag. Put two sets of handles on the unpainted side. Basically, you and a companion just slowly wander toward the antelope - right out in plain view - at an angle that puts you in bow range off to one side. Another guy I know did his cow decoy with the cow looking right at the camera - this was a one person unit.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice out to 50 yrds.and take a rangefinder. Water holes will almost always garuntee a buck or atleast a sighting.... Take agroundblind and a comfy seat.

also find some good sources on how to judge them. Its easy to see one and think its huge but then when you score it, it ends up low. (obviously if your interested in P&Y) Height & widthgives you the most points, my P&Y buck didnt have much mass, but was really tall.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

If you haven't seen Ed's Pronghorn....do yourself a favor and follow his links.

Ed...Congrats. He's beautiful.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

[8D]Thanks Jeff! He scored 72 1/8" P&Y, Incase you dont wanna follow the links, here are some before and after shots!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

and an After-After shot.

The bottom one is the P&Y, never got the top one scored.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ed, I would say the top one would also clear the book with room to spare. Awesome mount, but the drapes are a bit girlie and a Bose Wave radio? J/K

Quick Reply: Tips for hunting Pronghorns??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.