Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent -Lok Suits ?

Old 12-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Spike

Default Scent -Lok Suits ?

Just need to know some info from people who have a sent-lok suit. Is there any tips or anything i should know before i buy one ? I see there are two brands , SENT-LOK and SCENT BLOCKER , is one better then the other ? Are they worth the money ?
Thanks for the info !!<font face='Comic Sans MS'></font id='Comic Sans MS'>Merry Christmas !
Old 12-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent -Lok Suits ?

Scentlok and Scentblocker are the same product with different names. I do think they may help control human scent, but you still need to take the normal scent control measures that you would take without the suit. I use them, but I still shower before each hunt when possible, use unscented soap and scent neutralizers, and ALWAYS hunt with the wind in your favor.
The stories that I have heard about being upwind of deer without them detecting you on a regular basis is crap. It just hasnt happend with me.
Thats just my opinion, I am sure that there are some that will disagree.

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter

Old 12-24-2002, 08:04 PM

I'm with HC4runner on this one. Once in a while something will walk through your scent without skipping a beat, half hour later a snort comes through the woods down wind from you. There are liner type underware that do the same thing cheaper. Bowhunting is a money pit so why not spend the bucks on some tech duds?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:43 PM

i have yet been winded since i bought mine. but as mentioned above i shower and play the wind the best i can. when i decided to spend the money i decided to hold out for one that was gor-tex also. probably one of the best decisions i have made.

Old 12-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

hc4runner, I arrowed a nice 8pt this season. The bugger snuck right up behind me. The wind was in my face and I was only about 18 feet off the ground. This has happened too many times to call it luck. The suit does work. I do shower with scent neutralizers, and wash all my other hunting clothes in a scent eliminator. Gotta watch the scent on your stand and bow as well. Cant be to carefull. Only drawback I can see is the suit is hot during early bow season here in the south.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:34 AM

I use one, but I also shower with scent free soap and try to keep everything real clean. Can't really tell if it works, but I haven't spooked any deer downwind, so ??? It can be real hot in the early season. Don't know if I'd buy another suit or not. I've had mine for 2 years and it's held up nice.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Capt Ray, I didnt say that the suit does not work, I said that I think it helps to eliminate human odor, but I still think that there in no way you can possibly eliminate 100% of your odor.As I said before, I take all the necessary steps to control my odor and I have fooled lots of young deer. But let a MATURE deer come directly downwind and thats a different ballgame altogether. From my experiences with MATURE deer, they will not tolerate even the slightest trace of human scent.
So even though I do wear Scent Lok suits and use unscented shampoo, scent eliminators, cover scent, etc.. and by the way I do spray down my stand, fanny packs, and bow also I still will not hunt a stand if the wind is wrong for that area, especially if Im after a MATURE buck.
Happy hunting and good luck on your trip to IL.

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter
Old 12-25-2002, 10:48 AM

I just purchased one of the Scent-Lok Savannah suits..I haven't been able to use it yet, but I believe it will help. Anything that you can use to put odds in your favor will help. There is no way to reduce all human scent, but what you can produce will add up to better success. Deer will tolerate some human odor, just not alot.

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 12-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

There are 3 kids on the block.....Scent-Lok/Scent Blocker and Goretex Suppressant. I have done a large amount of research on the scent absorbing suits recently. I am going with Suppressant by W.L. Gore(yes by Goretex). It is supposedly washable, and I was told by a Goretex representative that it is guaranteed to last as long as the garment itself. Unlike Scent Lok and Scent Blocker, the charcoal will not wash out. The &quot;others&quot; effectiveness supposedly will last 3-5 yrs. with moderate use! On a Scent-Lok garment it says to wash once or twice a yr.! That in itself tells me something.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Cougar Mag, thanks that sounds like Supprecent would be the way to go. I just never did feel right going hunting in something that could only be washed one or twice a year
Does it say you can wash them regularly just like your other clothes without damaging the charcoal lining?

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter

Quick Reply: Scent -Lok Suits ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.