Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent -Lok Suits ?

Old 12-31-2002, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Scent -Lok Suits ?

I will let you know soon Capt. My Suppressant jacket by Whitewater Outdoors should be here Thursday or Friday. Looks as though I will wait to buy the pants, its sold out in my size. I am thinking of trying the liner pants though.

The new Scent-Lok climbaflex is supposed to absorb more scent than the older Scent-Lok and be lighter, but don't know if it lasts longer or not.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any web sites for the Goretex?
Thanks
Steve
Old 01-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Bob...the Suppressant liner or membrane is not water proof.

Steve....www.gore-tex.com
Old 01-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cougar, thats not how I read it:

"GORE-TEX® SUPPRESCENT® fabric is engineered to meet the needs of the most demanding hunters. It is specifically designed for close-range big game hunting, when scent control is critical but durable waterproofness, breathability and comfort cannot be compromised. This revolutionary fabric combines scent control, breathability, durability and windstopping ability with guaranteed waterproofing to offer the most comprehensive scent control solution on the market today" - from the goxtex website.

Here is a complete link to the goretex suppresent information:

http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductId=10407
Old 01-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

I must have misread that Bob. I know they call it Windstopper Suppressant and I "thought" I understood that the garments manufactured so far were treated with water repellants unless it contained the Gore-tex water proof lining with the Windstopper Suppressant membrane. Thanks for providing the links Bob.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a brief statement that the representative sent me. I didn't post all of his email.........was too long.

Hi Greg:

Thank you for visiting our website and for your interest in our products!

As long as the Garment is in good shape and well cared for, the Gore
SUPPRESCENT(R) Membrane will remain effective for the lifetime of the
Garment.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure it will. But their "activated carbon" is nothing new. When a scent-lok suit is beyond it's "effectiveness" it becomes a charcoal lined suit just like the goretex suppresent. They will both help eliminate human odor , either a brand new goretex or a five year old scent-lok. Dont get swept away by goretex's advertising. Their trying to capitalize on the fact that scent-lok becomes less effective after years of washing. What you dont know is that their suppresant suit is comparable to a washed up scent-lok suit. Thats the way it was explained to me. Was it a salesman just trying to push his scent-lok? Could be , but it does make sense. I bet if someone contacted scent-lok they could explain why washing "harms one" and not the other. There is also a carbon wash laundry detergent on the market that helps lengthen the life of the activating carbon in a scent-lok suit.

Edited by - bowfanatic on 01/03/2003 01:44:27
Old 01-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Fork Horn

Have some of you considered that you might stink worse than another man? I remember in gym class in high school certain guys were really rank while others weren't. Ask your wives for the answer

This is a very interesting thread. I've been thinking of buying a suit also but am waiting until next fall to get the "latest and greatest". I have one extra observation though about the gortex brand. That windstopper membrane is a great difference maker between choosing from all 3 imho. It would eliminate one extra windproof layer on winter hunts. Also the Savanna series seems like a marketing trick as it's not a full strength thickness of charcoal layers like the other products in their line. In Cabela's the Savanna Series was described as 30% lighter and more flexible by eliminating one layer of protection. Well duhh that convinces me that the scent control aspect is compromised for more comfort. No one buys these suits for comfort in the first place. The Savanna series was designed for early season hunts but what's the purpose if your scent is escaping from less charcoal?

Edited by - soonershooter on 01/03/2003 02:16:20
Old 01-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sooner , the scent-lok also has a windstopper membrane in their all season coat. You can also get better prices by ordering directly from scent-lok at www.scentlok.com
Old 01-03-2003, 05:36 AM

The scentlok representative I spoke with, I believe her name is Robin, told me the savana series is just as good as the rest of their line for controling scent.
I have noted something though that you all might want to check into when you are purchasing any of these types of products. While at cabelas over the christmas holiday I purchased a cabelas brand scentlok duffle bag. It was made by cabelas, or for cabelas? Dont know for sure how that works, but it used a scentlok liner in it, and it said cabelas on the outside. At any rate it was very poor quality, and I was very disappointed in it! When I opened it up when I got home and looked at it, it was so thin you could see right through it like it was screen. There is no way it was going to do anything to protect my clothing I don't care what anyone says. I even held an onion inside of the bag to see if I could smell it and it was just like I was holding the onion in front of my nose. I took it back to cabelas and the lady at the store said I was one of several people that had returned this product. I plan to contact scentlok about it, because I think someone is trying to pull off a scam. All the products I've purchased directly from scnetlok have been A1 quality so I have trouble believing scentlok is aware of this.
Whatever you do be sure you check out this stuff real good before you buy it, cause it isnt all the same!

The spirit of the woods is an old good friend

Quick Reply: Scent -Lok Suits ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.