Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A deers perception of color?

Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default A deers perception of color?

I hate to post this because I know I've seen more than a few threads on this topic but I cannot find themwith thesearch option. I'd like to see or hear again how/what deer actually see regarding color. I'm specifically interested inthere perception of "hunter safety orange". And before the stone throwing starts let me say "I know it isn't a topic or color that's commonhere in the bowhunting forum" but it's something that at times I may have to incorporate into my bowhunting this season.Info,links to threads and/or articles appreciated.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A deers perception of color?

This is from the Journal of Wildlife Management. Check out the conclusions on pg. 690.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1279&context=icwdm_usd anwrc
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Default RE: A deers perception of color?

QDMA website has a couple studies. Check their website. www.qdma.org

May check the archives there. Studyat University of Georgia if I remember correctly.

Basically shows that deer do not see a wholelot better than us, other than movement and at night. Same color blindness degree that is in humans. Theysee shades of blues and light greens.They can seeUV brighteners in clothing in low-light conditions. Kind of like a black light on a white Tshirt.Good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/story?page=c_fea_QDMA_what_deer_see

Found it. On an ESPN site.