Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Today was a first for me.... saw tooo many big bucks already!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Today was a first for me.... saw tooo many big bucks already!!!

I dont know how it is in other places, but my wife and I rode the rodes today for the first time this year. Virginia, North Carolina border.I always start the last week before July. Over the past years, I normally see about 2 maybe 3 bucks that have the potential to be great bucks. But, oh hell, tonight, I saw 42 bucks, at least 20 of them are taxidermy ready. I could not believe my eyes. I have them on camcorder, but I have to learn how to put them on the computer. And the best thing...... all these bucks were either on property that I can hunt, or joining farms. Out of the other bucks I saw, with the growing time left, most of them should grow real nice. I know I sound like a kid in a candy store, but you didnt see what i saw, and it has really put the fever in me early.

A.J.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Today was a first for me.... saw tooo many big bucks already!!!

I drove from Winston-Salem to Richmond, this morning.....and from Richmond, home, this evening.

I didn't see a deer until I got on my road, this evening...lol.....and I didn't see that many bucks in 46 hunts, last year.

"Too many bucks" is a contradiction of terms.

Good luck with your season. I can't wait to see your video.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from doing a little scouting myself. Tonight was amazing! I saw probably 7-8 bucks that look like they will grow into shooters. One is simply amazing. I truely believe he will be pushing 200" by the time hes done growing. I tried to take a picture through the spoting scope with my camera on my phone but i couldnt get it to work. Im headed out on Monday evening to video him hopefully. He is incredible!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

200" wow! You got me slobbering now, that is something i have never had the pleasure to witness first hand. Hope you get a crack at him, hope he is where you can hunt him.
ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I just got back from doing a little scouting myself. Tonight was amazing! I saw probably 7-8 bucks that look like they will grow into shooters. One is simply amazing. I truely believe he will be pushing 200" by the time hes done growing. I tried to take a picture through the spoting scope with my camera on my phone but i couldnt get it to work. Im headed out on Monday evening to video him hopefully. He is incredible!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hesleeps on "unhuntable" property. But he eats dinner under my roof
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I just remembered.....I saw about 6-8 somewhere in VA.....but I couldn't even tell you if they were bucks, or not. If you're further than 50 yds.....the deer size and the antler size (lack thereof)are tough for an old man to discern.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM

Boy that sounds like a problem. Your herd is out of balance. You need to take out some small bucks. QDM!

I need to get out to the bean fields this week. But it sounds good so far for you. Maybe they won't disappear come killin' time. That is always a bummer.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: markj

Maybe they won't disappear come killin' time. That is always a bummer.
Thats always a tough one...got to get on them early! Im glad the season opens Sept. 15 here. It would be even better if it opened Sept. 1
Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 PM

In all my years I know of one guy locally that patterned a true trophy of 175" size earlyon in summerinbean fields, went out openingday of 2005in the evening and whacked him. Bam. The deer read the script and followed on cue. Only 17" wide but the rackwent up and up and had major mass. Same guy turned around after gun season and killed a 162". What a season.

Not trying to take any wind out of anyones sails but when they start shedding the velvet they change. You know what I am talking about. But it is very cool watching them now until then.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that the deer i watch normally keep their patterns till about the end of september.

Last year i watched the biggest deer on my property at the time (150") allaugust and patterened him really well. Shot him on the third evening of the season. Theres nothing i like more then an early season buck!

Quick Reply: Today was a first for me.... saw tooo many big bucks already!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.