Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling antlers: recommendations please

Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Rattling antlers: recommendations please

Okay, so I want to have a great set of rattling antlers for IL pre-rut this year. Questions as follows:

1. Can deer/bucks really distinguish real from synthetic antlers?

2. Which are the best synthetic antlers?

3. If real are indeed superior, who makes a good set? Anyone here on the forum?

4. What are the features that make a top-notch set of rattling antlers?

5. Any other products that are easier to use and pack work just as well (bags, boxes, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattling antlers: recommendations please

I've used real antlers and the bag. If you are going to use a real set make sure the drop times are removed so you don't crush a finger. []

The bag is nice because you can use it with very little movement and it's easy to pack. The one I have has wood dowels in it. There are some that use plastic.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I've used real antlers and the bag. If you are going to use a real set make sure the drop times are removed so you don't crush a finger. []

The bag is nice because you can use it with very little movement and it's easy to pack. The one I have has wood dowels in it. There are some that use plastic.
Have you noticed that the deer respond equally to each? I am guessing that a real set could be made to produce a louder sound which would carry further...correct?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pulled a buck across a field about 300 yds away a few years ago with the bag. Then he stopped with his vitals behind a tree and busted me. [:@]

The funny part is that I had doe bedded below me earlier that day and they fed below me for a few hours.

That's the only time I've had deer respond to rattling in PA. Don't know what that's worth.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get yourself some real bone , if you have any shed's use them if not then get a good rattle bag.
Like davepjr71 said some have wooden dowels others have plastic but the real good rattle bag will have ceramic but those are hard to come by and very exspensive.
When using real shed antlers most hunters will remove the brow tine's so they won't hurt there thumbs , now I'm not sure who if any makes plastic antlers.
I know that the hard plastic will sound better than the wooden ones if your going with a rattle bag.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of platic antlers.Haven't seen them in a little while though. I learned the hard way when I was young about removing the bow tines.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard of platic antlers.Haven't seen them in a little while though. I learned the hard way when I was young about removing the bow tines.
I never heard of platic antlers ... I have a set of plastic ones though ....
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are on a roll today.Platic is a new material. You'd think with spell check that would not happen.[&:]

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I never heard of platic antlers ... I have a set of plastic ones though ....
You better hope you never misspell on here PT. You're gonna get it good.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm going to keep a link to his profile and check every post he makes. One slip and it's the gallows for him.

Red Boar,

You can go to a shop and check out the bags they have. However, they will definitely sound different in the store compared to outside. Real antlers sound the best for sure. It becomes a case of what you'd like to use and carry around with you to the stand.

Quick Reply: Rattling antlers: recommendations please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.