Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling antlers: recommendations please

Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling antlers: recommendations please

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I've heard of platic antlers.Haven't seen them in a little while though. I learned the hard way when I was young about removing the bow tines.
I never heard of platic antlers ... I have a set of plastic ones though ....
You better hope you never misspell on here PT. You're gonna get it good.
Funny thing is ... I typo all the time

As far as the rattling antlers ... Dave said he never really did all that well in PA .... i have had the same experience ... or lack thereof .... just not real productive for me ..... is it a NE thing?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the doe to buck ratio is too high in the NE and was told that's why rattling is very tough going.

I'm sure in a state with a closer 1:1 ratio rattling works great due to greater competition.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

The bucks, here, are too "pimp" to be rattled in. Why leave your little "hottie" to even go check out a tussle?

No....seriously......

I saw three does do a "rock/paper/scissors" to see who'd get the chance to fight a fourth doe over a forky.

There's a bachelor group on the next farm over that interviews prospective does. They've offered to help me drag the "ugly" ones I take, this Fall.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM

I have used some real horns with the G1 cut off. Eight point rackaround 110" with medium mass. Sounds good and easy to pack.

I would go with real if you can get your hands on some. Dont need to be real big. I am not sure about cutting of drop tines? If i had that I would not be rattling with them.

Find someone with sheds and maybe they will sell. For that matter Imay get you some if you PM me.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I rattled in a buck for a friend of mine three years ago , it was his first nine pointer with a bow and it was in the last week of October.
I was using real shed antlers one was from a six pointer and the other was from a eight and I was on the ground in thick brush just off to my friends right side.
He was up in a treestand waiting while I tickled the bones and using the " Snort Wheeze " call from M.A.D. , I was really getting into it when his nine pointer showed up.
It was kinda funny in a way because while I was rattling , grunting and snorting around that buck came in and stop just looking in my direction.
When I saw the buck standing there , I stopped and then I saw my friends arrow go threw his body and watched him run off.
We were all excited about his shot , my friend came down from his tree and we were high fiving each other then we waited for awhile then trailed him.
It was one of the most exciting hunts that I was ever on and one I won't forget.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

To answer your Q's..

1. No they can't.
2. Talk to 10 different hunters and get 10 different answers.
3. No clue on that one.. but you should try shed hunting for some good real ones.
4. They are all basically the same. Antlers that rattle...
5. Hunters Specialties makes an easier carrying bag that is supposed to be about as good as anything else out there.

Rattling is over-rated and often times not the answer to killing big deer. Learn more about your game, learn more about hunting, and learn where to be and when.. that is the best advice I could give. Forget the easy answers like rattling antlers, they have a place at few moments, but will not make you a better or more successful hunter this fall. Concentrate on becoming invisable and you will see the deer you are looking for.. I guarantee it. Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

To answer your Q's..

1. No they can't.
2. Talk to 10 different hunters and get 10 different answers.
3. No clue on that one.. but you should try shed hunting for some good real ones.
4. They are all basically the same. Antlers that rattle...
5. Hunters Specialties makes an easier carrying bag that is supposed to be about as good as anything else out there.

Rattling is over-rated and often times not the answer to killing big deer. Learn more about your game, learn more about hunting, and learn where to be and when.. that is the best advice I could give. Forget the easy answers like rattling antlers, they have a place at few moments, but will not make you a better or more successful hunter this fall. Concentrate on becoming invisable and you will see the deer you are looking for.. I guarantee it. Good Luck.
Great responses...thanks to everyone.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the bag and real antlers but prefer the bag becasue the ease of carrying in and out. They both sound pretty good. I woudl have to say if youre going to use real antlers make sure you cut the brow tines off so you dont catch your fingers. It hurts. Also if you use real antlers, keep in mind that antlers tend to get pretty dry, so what I do is soak them in a tub or bucket of water for about 24 hoursabout 3-5 times a season. This will help kep them sounding more natural. But I really prefer the rattling bag.I like the sound of the ones withwooden dowels and paddles. They work extremely well.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

How could anything be better than the real thing? The closer the B/D ratio, the better the results. Big mature bucks can indeed be rattled in. I learned this first hand in Alberta.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

How could anything be better than the real thing? The closer the B/D ratio, the better the results. Big mature bucks can indeed be rattled in. I learned this first hand in Alberta.
I agree...but, you don't always have the luxury of unlimited space when you travel to hunt. I think rattle bags were conceived to address that problem. Airlines have gotten very restrictive on how much you can take on a plane. Sometimes when you pack into the woods (if you are going some distance) a space inventory is necessary as well.

Quick Reply: Rattling antlers: recommendations please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.