Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

I received my Flambeau Boss Buck today. First thing you will notice...the box is HUGE and must weigh about 35 pounds. I took it in the back yard to set it up. IMHO, problems as follows:

1. 150 dollars (plus 20 shipping) is a lot to spend on a decoy, but okay I stepped up to the plate and figured I'd go first class for my IL bow hunt.
2. The hard plastic construction material is very noisy...pulling the pieces out of the body cavitiy would alert all game in the area.
3. Pulling out the pieces was not easy...very tight fit.
4.Legs are "twist and lock"...the decoy's left front leg would not stay in.I struggled with it for awhile and then gave up. [:@]

At this point I say, this is too heavy, too loud and too much work to be practical in a hunting situation, where it will be both dark and cold first thing in the morning. I'd be sweaty and wore out from lugging in my bow, climber and this decoy to my set-up. So, I packed it up the best I could...putting all the parts in is even more challenging to make everything fit...again, very noisy.

All in all, I am sure this is the most realistic decoy every made. The concept is wonderful. In its present form, however, it is not a practical piece of hunting equipment for me. I'll be making a trip to UPS (believe me, you need a big vehicle to haul this box) tomorrow and it will be on its way back to Cabela's. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with a return to Cabela's...their customer service is first rate.

Understand, I am not trying to talk anyone out of making a purchase...just wanted you all to be able to make a more informed decision.

Red
Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default RE: Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

I have a Flambeau Redi doe andI know what you mean about the noise. You can do it quietly but it has to be done in micro slow time carefully. Take a look at the Buckwing Bobblehead buck decoy that is out this year. The head and tail actually bob and I believe movement is a key factor in making a decoy effective. It is in Bass Pros 2007 archery catalog on page 128 for $219. It comes with two sets of antlers(one small and one large) or it can be used with no antlers. I use a military dufflebag to carry my redidoe. I am going with this Buckwing wind movement decoy. Their turkey bobblehead decoy is top rate and I saw the buck decoy at the IA deer classic in March this year.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the tip, Hardcore...anyone have a chance to see the Buckwing in person and know anything about weight, ease of carrying and set-up, etc.?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the buckwing turkey decoys...that deer decoy looks really good!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts. Looks very realistic from the pics I have seen.

I did think of getting one just to use for a lawn ornament (sp)
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

That BuckWing Buck Decoy looks awesome , I just gotta get myself one of those.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

2. The hard plastic construction material is very noisy...pulling the pieces out of the body cavitiy would alert all game in the area.

What deer decoy have you seen that wasn't noisey plastic??? [&:]
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Carry-Lite... I took it out for an afternoon hunt, and then hid it in some tall reeds close to my stand after dark. Every time after that, setup was a cinch.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

What deer decoy have you seen that wasn't noisey plastic??? [&:]

I remember a doe decoy that was more of a rigid foam. I haven't had lots of experience using decoys, thus my interest and questions. Seems like they could build one with materials that had a slightly "rubber" texture that would be quieter in the woods. Heck, they put rubberized "armour" coating over many hunting accessories. I am sure that they would have to deal with a weight issue, but seems like it could be done. Even if they put a rubber seal around the hole in the body cavity where you pull out and push in the other body parts would be a great help in quieting things down. Just some thoughts....
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, Red Boar, those are some great thoughts.... I'd like to see that, too.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.