Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

Somebody's making a Pronghorn deke that some guys are using out west to decoy bucks in with (Pronghorn bucks). It looks to be inflatable. Why can't someone do that with a deer deke?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 PM

I have the older one, probably the one Greg has. Couple years old, legs, ears,antlers etc store in the body cavity. All plastic. It looks good set up but it is loud if youset up inthe field.

quiksilver let me in on his workout routine and ever since then I have been assembling the decoy at the truckand carrying out to field under an arm. No barbie dolls here boys.

Seriously, the last couple times I used it I put together at the truck and carried it to stand under an arm. About a quarter mile or so. It is not that bad on weight. Now if it was a rubber material it would be much heavier. Or you could hide it in reeds.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

someone does make an inflatable deer decoy, I cant think of the name right now but I saw them at a local sporting goods store. They did not look to bad, They have the photo implanted like a montana decoy, but are 3D
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM

I did a search on the inflatable deer and found several companies making them. I also saw the buckwing at the proshop while getting my string changed yesterday. Sweeeeeeeeeeet. They kept telling me I really needed one and if I could hunt field edges that weren't on public land, I'd think about it. I mean, it looks so realistic with that swaying head from afar, I'm afraid at least one poacher would take a shot at it!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Delta Decoy makes a cheap foam decoy. It isn't that loud.
It's almost like a foam target deke, so that should give you some idea.

The one in the store looked decent (definitely not too big to scare anything away), but the one I got was not formed properly (pieces didn't match up) and I returned it.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didnt take time to read all the posts becouse im in a hurry, so sorry if this was already said, but why would you ever buy a decoy? A 3-D target will work just as well, and if you need a doe then just take the antlers off! Just my opinion.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Im pretty sure that a deer would be able to see about a thousand hole in one of it's own species. They may not spook from this bu may not et to close, can't lay proof on this theory tho. Plus they would stink up the whole hillside. Just my opinion.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is true about the holes and the scent. But if you stored yours outside, and had a replaceble bullseye that you could put in it, it would save you alot of money. I dont see why i would buy a 3-D deer target and then go buy a 3-D decoy that i cannot shoot at. It just doesnt make sense to me....but maybe im just weird
Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 PM

Im going to look into those blow up ones as I have not seen any yet. I want to look at pricing and if there not too much I will probably buy one. But $150-$220 is unreasonable I agree.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM

You make some good points, but have you ever actually carried a 3-D target a good distance to your hunting location? If you have your bow and climber (at a minimum) how far could you get with one? Decoys are supposed to be lighter, easier to set upand more portable. Now, if you had your own property and were hunting very close to your cabin/house than I guess it wouldn't make as much difference. I also agree that the scent from a target would be a problem.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Flambeau "Boss Buck" decoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.