Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this bug anybody else.....?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does this bug anybody else.....?

Reminds me (since this is an off the wall thread).

Opening weekend, me and a couple buddies were duck hunting legally in Louisiana (on the border), and afterwards went to this little bar in Mississippi for some drinks. We kept getting some really ugly looks. I thought we were about to get in a big fight with some locals. Finally, one of them said, "what y'all hunting." We said ducks and he looked all pissed off, then we heard somebody say "poachers."

Duck season wasn't open in Mississippi. But the fact that we were 5 minutes from the state line never crossed their mind.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: markj
"I drive a 4x4"Should just be 4WD.

I never have understood that one. Sorry, back to the thread subject.
It's simple.....4x4 = four wheels in total and of that four wheels are driven (have power supplied to them) When the word "wheel" is used, it could mean a single like most trucks or a dual like those on one tons or big semi tractors.

For instance a typical semi tractor..... say a Peterbilt, would be considered a 6x4 in that it has six sets of wheels (even though the rears are double sets of double tires) and of those six sets of wheels four are driven, that being both the rear axles or tandems if you would.

You just need to remember that an axle can only have two"wheels" one on each side. Even though each "wheel" may contain multiple tires and rims like fouron a semitractor, it's still considered and counted as a "wheel".

Savy?

Back to the program........

Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I register the mistake when I hear it, but it doesn't bother me at all. Crap, if I let that get to me, I'd go insane here in rural Tennessee.

I drive an SUV but say truck..same kinda thing I reckon.
GR8... thatmakes sense,but I can't stand to hear someone call a truck a "car". I've heard that a lot over the years, and always from folks who lived in the city.
My dad's shot more bucks than I ever will and says horns. Around western PA it's rare to hear someone say antlers.

I can't stand to hear people call an SUV a truck. A truck has a bed on it. An SUV is a stationwagon on steroids.

And in closing most 4X4's are really 2WD's. You only have 2 wheelssupplying power at one time unless they have posi-lock or a locking differential. An all wheel drive is the only true 4WD.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Bartender

Honestly I always thought it was a southern thing with horns. Just like crappie or (CRAP-PIE) or Acorn or A cornsss. You know what I mean I hope, lol .Either way does not bother me.
I use antlers myself which by definition they are.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Bartender

ant·ler (ānt'lər) Pronunciation Key

n. One of a pair of hornlike, bony, deciduous growths, usually elongated and branched, on the head of a deer, moose, elk, caribou, or other member of the deer family.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Bartender

horn /hɔrn/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hawrn]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun

one of the bony, permanent, hollow paired growths, often curved and pointed, that project from the upper part of the head of certain ungulate mammals, as cattle, sheep, goats, or antelopes. [/align]
Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Nope! It's 1st time I thought about it.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

nope, doesnt bother me, just like when people ask me after Ive been hunting whitetails "did you catch one?"
Haha. A friend of mine always says that and I have to correct her.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Bartender

I like that one, I always say nope run to fast.
Gets them everytime.
ORIGINAL: ducsauce

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

nope, doesnt bother me, just like when people ask me after Ive been hunting whitetails "did you catch one?"
Haha. A friend of mine always says that and I have to correct her.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like a pair of pants is one.
A shirt isnot a pair of shirt.
A pair of shoes is 2 shoes.

You can drive down the road at a hundred m.p.h. does that mean that the fly flying around in your car, can fly a hundred M.P.Hwith little effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.