Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

I watched that video and was really impressed. I went to MUCC.org and found a link for the whole story but I wasn't able to see it. Has anyone else seen the whole thing?

Tom
Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

I've killed dozens of deer with a bow and a double lung shot almost always results in the deer going down with in sight,regardless of the size of the broadhead.If I don't see them go down,I always hear them.I've see no practicle advantage of using a wider cut.The last 15 deer I've killed were with slick tricks and none of them ran out of sight.How much faster do they need to drop?

Mechanicals may have an advantage with a gut shotbut they will hinder penetration on a hit to heavy bone.I've personally never gut shot a deer but I have hit heavier bone on many occassion when shooting from a treestand.Any advantage a mechanical has with a gut shot,it losesif heavy bone is encountered.Moot point.

Mechanicals are connected to the ferule in one place where asthe blades on a fixed head are connected in two places.Fixed heads are,without a doubt more durable.

Some smaller mechanicals penetrate as well as fixed heads butI guess you lose the supposed advantage of a wider cutting diameter.The larger mechanicals impede penetration.

I've use both over the years to kill alot of big game animals and I can't think of any advantages a mechanical has over a fixed head.They may be better in the wind but that's never been an issue for me.I think the disadvantages of decreased penetration and durabilty far outweigh any advantages.