Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Default RE: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

I shoot them because of the large cutting diameter. The day they can make a fixed blade head w/ a 2" cutting diameter fly as well asaRocket, I'll try them. Bigger hole = more blood loss = dead deer faster.

Admittedly, in the early days of the mechanical broadhead, they didn't always open and had their flaws.......Such as the old Punchcutter....I HATED those things......I lost the first deer I ever shot w/ a bow with one of those, but I did see her alive and well a couple weeks later. Only thing I can figure is that it didn't open....AND the cutting diameter wasn't as big back then either.

Look at some of today's mechs......Aftershock makes one w/a 2 3/4" cutting diameter, and it looks like a cycle bar......Mean looking critter, I'll tell you that. There have been SO many advances in technology that the I honestly feel like there is no DISadvantage to using them anymore, unless you shoot low poundage (under 45). Bows are so efficient today that they produce well over 100% KE, todays arrows are better and the broadheads themselves are MUCH better. The issue of not opening has been addressed by the makers, and if it were a SERIOUS issue, I just don't think there would be as many to choose from as there are. Poor tuning or not, folks just aren't gonna keep shooting deer and losing them because of the BH. Mech's work, and there's simply no way around that.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I shoot them because of the large cutting diameter. The day they can make a fixed blade head w/ a 2" cutting diameter fly as well asaRocket, I'll try them. Bigger hole = more blood loss = dead deer faster.

Admittedly, in the early days of the mechanical broadhead, they didn't always open and had their flaws.......Such as the old Punchcutter....I HATED those things......I lost the first deer I ever shot w/ a bow with one of those, but I did see her alive and well a couple weeks later. Only thing I can figure is that it didn't open....AND the cutting diameter wasn't as big back then either.

Look at some of today's mechs......Aftershock makes one w/a 2 3/4" cutting diameter, and it looks like a cycle bar......Mean looking critter, I'll tell you that. There have been SO many advances in technology that the I honestly feel like there is no DISadvantage to using them anymore, unless you shoot low poundage (under 45). Bows are so efficient today that they produce well over 100% KE, todays arrows are better and the broadheads themselves are MUCH better. The issue of not opening has been addressed by the makers, and if it were a SERIOUS issue, I just don't think there would be as many to choose from as there are. Poor tuning or not, folks just aren't gonna keep shooting deer and losing them because of the BH. Mech's work, and there's simply no way around that.

So you're agreeing that aside the large cutting diameter there isn't a "true" advantage.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 PM

Correct. But there is no true DISadvantage either......But I would say a 2" hole is quite an advantage...yes?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

.....But I would say a 2" hole is quite an advantage...yes?

YES!!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I choose mechanicals for forgiveness.

Arrow tune is second only to being accurate to me.Many on this sight will attest to my tuning skills.

I have also shot competitively and won my share of tournaments.

NOW,when I speak of forgiveness,I am talking about things liketaking a shot from a deer stand and leaning out around the tree, that, in most cases will cause TORQUE.We all no what torque can do to an arrow,now add a fixed head on the end and you have a less than forgiving shot.Or shooting at a deer in windy conditions at 30 yards.(yes,a mechanical will be more accurate here,especially over a 2 blade broadhead, shot with any kind of speed)

I can shoot my mechanicals,fixed heads and field points all about the same at 30 yards in my back yard in good conditions,it is when conditions get bad the mechanical has the edge.

There are a few mechanicals that do give others a bad rep ,but most cases are due to poor mechanical selection for the particular setup.

I only use a 1 1/8" cut mechanical that has been putting deer downflawelessly for me.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I choose mechanicals for forgiveness.

Arrow tune is second only to being accurate to me.Many on this sight will attest to my tuning skills.

I have also shot competitively and won my share of tournaments.

NOW,when I speak of forgiveness,I am talking about things liketaking a shot from a deer stand and leaning out around the tree, that, in most cases will cause TORQUE.We all no what torque can do to an arrow,now add a fixed head on the end and you have a less than forgiving shot.Or shooting at a deer in windy conditions at 30 yards.(yes,a mechanical will be more accurate here,especially over a 2 blade broadhead, shot with any kind of speed)

I can shoot my mechanicals,fixed heads and field points all about the same at 30 yards in my back yard in good conditions,it is when conditions get bad the mechanical has the edge.

There are a few mechanicals that do give others a bad rep ,but most cases are due to poor mechanical selection for the particular setup.

I only use a 1 1/8" cut mechanical that has been putting deer downflawelessly for me.
What type of fletching do you use with the mechanicals?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

TFox, excellent post. What you said is spot on with why I use mechanicals and have for many years. Although I do prefer the larger cutting diameter, but again that is also part of the forgiveness factor. If I am off my mark because I'm twisted up to get the shot a larger cut may slice a main artery or catch the lungs or liver where a smaller diameter head would not. The blood trails that paint the woods and last only 50 yards before leading to a dead deerdon't hurt either.

Now I'm not saying that I, or anyone for that matter, should look at the mechs as a crutch. I shoot religiously year-round, I tune and re-tune my equipment, I practice as will be hunting once my set up is dialed in, and do everything I can to make sure my shot on an animal is as accurate as possible. As we all know, in bowhunting there is no such thing as a sure thing, so I try to stack the advantages in my favor as much as possible. The mechanical is another tool I employ to do that. For me the advantages far outweight the disadvantages.

Bruce, to answer your question I use Blazers with mechanicals, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them with just about any fixed blade head as well.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Bruce, to answer your question I use Blazers with mechanicals, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them with just about any fixed blade head as well.
I am interested in the reason for using mechanicals (more forgiving) and that is why I asked the question. I plan on using feathers, mostly, for the same reason. Iam usingblazers and feathers on my arrows currently. If using mechanicals for their more forgiving nature wouldn't using feathers with the mechanicals be a more forgiving setup?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am currently using 4" right helical feathers.(All about the forgiveness).

If I had more energy,I would also use a larger cut head but my energy level limits the size head I can use.

I have also used 3" helical feathers before and could shoot my broadheads and field points the same in the yard but wind made more of a change to my fixed heads than it does with the 4".

I would have no problems screwing on fixed heads and going hunting and have done it but I prefer the expandables in most conditions.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I am currently using 4" right helical feathers.(All about the forgiveness).

If I had more energy,I would also use a larger cut head but my energy level limits the size head I can use.

I have also used 3" helical feathers before and could shoot my broadheads and field points the same in the yard but wind made more of a change to my fixed heads than it does with the 4".

I would have no problems screwing on fixed heads and going hunting and have done it but I prefer the expandables in most conditions.
Thanks. Although I like the fixed blades you now have me thinking about mechanicals. I think taking advantage of all the things that can make your shot better in less than forgiving situations makes a great deal of sense. Do you use a 3 or 4 fletch? If just a 3 fletch would it be because the difference between 3 and 4 is negligible?

Quick Reply: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.