Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody shoot w/ a lens on their sight?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anybody shoot w/ a lens on their sight?

Just found out my sight is pre-machined to accept a lens. Who uses one? Why? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages? Do you hunt with the lens on there?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody shoot w/ a lens on their sight?

I'm curious too, Been considering getting a toxonics w/ 3x magnification.

Im assuming its good for 3-d shoots but not sure how practical it would be in the field. I guess if its easily removable it'd be easy enough to take off...
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

That's just it, Ed.....I don't wanna hunt with it. It would be nice for 3D.....but I'm only looking for something to aid, indoors.....and only with my pins.

Heck....I might have to go with bigger pins. I'm also curious to know if they're "legal" for most of you guys who shoot hunter class.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot quite a bit with a lens. Benefits are a slightly bigger target. For some 3D applications this can be helpful, but the drawbacks would prevent me from ever using it for hunting. Drawbacks are that they suck in the rain, if it's sunny they can develop a glare, your range of movement is magnified, and sometimes POI moves if you have to take the lens out for emergency purposes in the rain. Also keep in mind unless you are shooting in sanctioned ASA shoots, no other organization that I know of and most local shoots will bump you into open/open pro class for 3D if you have a lens.

With that said, when I shoot open stakes for 3D, indoor spots, field or FITA I do use a lens on a Copper John Ants sight, but for anytime I am using a pins sight I do not.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a 4X lens..I like it alot! I can't shoot league with it (not legal in Hunter Class)But I use it when shooting in the backyard and for hunting. It allows me to pick a better spot (more defined).
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 4x lens on my HHA optimizer and I love it. I don't use it for shooting 3D tournaments or for hunting, but I use it all the time for shooting winter league. It really helps enlargen your target. For me...instead of floating around the white on a five spot, a lens allows me to float around the 'X'. I've thought about using it for 3D tourneys and hunting, but have always feared the glare issue. I would hate to be pulling back on a nice buck just to have him catch the glare from the lens.

But is will always use it when shooting indoor leagues and am a big fan of them.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM

i'm shooting a 6x lens w/ a #2 clarifier on my 3d bow. i like it a lot. now, get a hog or black bear target deep in the shade, and all you can see is black - can't even tell where you're aiming - unless you have both eyes open, and its still guesswork. the better guys i know shoot 3x lenses so you don't see quite as much float. seeing too much float because of the magnification tends to induce stress. there are times when someone has put a great shot on a target and i can't see the nock w/ my naked eye. get to full draw, look thru the clarifier and lens - there it is - that's when i really love it, or when i can see the 12 ring thru it.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I've finally figured out what's up with my sight. Since I sent it off to have the fibers replaced.....I've been having trouble with my 30 yd pin (blurring).

I've not noticed it before.....so it's been a PITA. Well....I've realized now....that the guy who replaced my fibers took it upon himself (I guess) to change my pin color sequence. Because now.....my 30 yd pin (second pin) is red. I've always shot Green; yellow; red; green in my Viper. I also shoot .019; .019; .010; .010.

My 2nd pin, now, is red.I have to assume it's also .010. Shooting indoors....I rarely have a 40 yd shot.....so I've never noticed it did this (elongates/blurs) my 40 yd pin. But now that it's in the 30 yd slot.....it bugs the crap outta me.

I'm going to take the housing off my sight.....and switch the two pins, tonight. If this takes care of everything......I'll be happy.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 PM

I hope switching the pins works for you, and I am glad that you at least realized what the problem was.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to take the housing off my sight.....and switch the two pins, tonight. If this takes care of everything......I'll be happy.
Jeff, why are you going to take the housing off? I added two pins to my Viper for longer shots and it was easy. You should be able to uscrew the allen screw completely and just slide the fiber out, then relocate the pin and slide the fiber back in. I think that would be much less trouble.

Let us know how it works out.