Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wanting to get a high end sight...G5?

Old 06-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Wanting to get a high end sight...G5?

This is my first post here, these forums are great, I wish I found them a long time ago. I think I have my mind made up on a new bow, and Alpine Silverado. Now that I am moving into a higher end bow, I want to get a better sight as well. I was looking at the G5 Optix sight (like this one http://www.realdealoutdoors.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_479_480_486&products _id=3881) . I had an extreme sight on my last bow, it was ok. Does anyoen have any other sights I should look into?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wanting to get a high end sight...G5?

Looks good a few too many pins for my liken. I'm a ! pin shooter.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get the .019" pins if you buy the G5. I have the ME model and like it a great deal. Very light and adjusting the sight is a breeze. The guide that comes with the sight will get you close for the pin gaps and setting if you know the speed of your arrow.

You have to decide how bright you like your pins. The factory fibers are ok. However, I replaced the factory fibers with Fitz Fibers.

I bought the sightnew off a guy here for a lot less than the stock price though.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 PM

if your not stuck on g5 look at vital gear, they are amazing. i cant brag enough on the diagonal pins.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I'd get the .019" pins if you buy the G5. I have the ME model and like it a great deal. Very light and adjusting the sight is a breeze. The guide that comes with the sight will get you close for the pin gaps and setting if you know the speed of your arrow.

You have to decide how bright you like your pins. The factory fibers are ok. However, I replaced the factory fibers with Fitz Fibers.

I bought the sightnew off a guy here for a lot less than the stock price though.

Great sight but as stated here, the pins aren't the brightest.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Great sight but as stated here, the pins aren't the brightest.

My thoughts exactly...I traded my for a Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Supreme and I am much happier. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also love my Vital Gear Triangle.

Very bright pins (stay bright at dusk), angled, and easy to adjust with worm drive.
Top pin is 0.29 and bottom pins are 0.19. You can also get it with 3 pin in all green (green is brightest).

They also recently updated the body part of the sight (not the actual sight /fiber optic portion), and it looks better now.
I have the old one and the sight part is awesome, but the rest of it sort of looks like a home job (2 kinds of metal).

I think it runs about $115 or so.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cobra Sidewinder Sure-Loc LX. Love it.

Footnote: Mountain Archery was out of the plain Sidewinder LX's so they sold me the Sure-Loc for the same price ($89).
Old 06-17-2007, 08:02 PM

If you're looking for a high end sight, G5 would be one of the last on my list.

In my opinion, and with all the other choices available, G5 is high end only in it's price. The pins are way too dull to rank it with any of the newer sights available.

If you're looking at dropping $100 - $150 on a sight, I would reccommed looking into the Copper John CJ2, Montana Black Gold Flashpoint, or the Cobra Sidewinder Sure-Loc LX. These three sights all offer some form of wrapped fiber optics, which aids in brightening your pins. This is the main thing I focus on when looking for a new sight on top of durability and ease of use.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spot Hogg makes excellent sights, and now with their hog wrap pin brightness is second to none. As is their customer service. I mailed a sight (to do a .010 pin swap and change the level) on a friday afternoon, they received it on Tuesday fixed it an sent it back to me the same day. I had my sight on thursday... less than a week turn around.

I really like my sword sight as well. I'd stay away from the Optix personally.

Quick Reply: Wanting to get a high end sight...G5?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.