Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Optimal Age to harvest a deer

Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Optimal Age to harvest a deer

So the post "Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!!!" got me thinking. What is the optimal age to harvest a deer? Lets say you have oh I don't know 2000 acres that you and you only hunt. Deer stay tight to your property it is a dream property has all they could need. So you see a 1 1/2 year old buck who has the "potiental". You have him patterned and watch him all season long letting him walk waiting to him to get bigger. You know next year and the year after and the year after you are going to see him (OK so I know I am in fantasy land) How old is he when you finally "Harvest" him??? Is the best age 5??? 6??? 7??? when does his rack. body size all that good stuff start to decline? Just curious as to everyones thoughts
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Optimal Age to harvest a deer

depending on what part of the country your in, I would not wait any longer than 5.5 anywhere though because if you have a big buck under you and he's mature take him that is my opinion.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

A biologist friend of mine say they begin to loose mass and antler potential around 7 years old. A six year old deer is also one of the hardest animals to come across. But to answer the question, if you are truly looking at peak antler production, then 5-6 yrs would most likely be the answer. For me a deer 4.5 yrs old or older is what I am looking to take. That's why I have the last four years worth of tags on my farm here in KY.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 PM

If I see a 5 year old deer he is getting the string dumped on him.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Dominant Buck

It's also a fact that a whietail deer has a 20% chance of dying of causes other than hunting.....EVERY YEAR. SO....20%...compounded.....and it's a stretch/anomoly for a deer to get to that age.

4.5????

I'm thinking I wouldn't roll the dice past 4.5
Old 06-15-2007, 11:07 PM

where I am at in western PA I would not pass on a 3.5 year old ever. There is just to much pressure on them.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

34. That will be my age by archery season and at present, that seems like a great age to kill a deer. Any deer will do.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

A biologist friend of mine say they begin to loose mass and antler potential around 7 years old. A six year old deer is also one of the hardest animals to come across. But to answer the question, if you are truly looking at peak antler production, then 5-6 yrs would most likely be the answer. For me a deer 4.5 yrs old or older is what I am looking to take. That's why I have the last four years worth of tags on my farm here in KY.
HA! Yeah, but your out of state deer have been out of this world!

I won't shoot one under 3.5 on my farms. Honestly, it is very hard to come across a deer over 3.5 around here. I think I am going to up my standards to 4.5 though since my wife is going to be hunting and I don't really care if I kill one at this point. Plus, I have some photos from last year that let me know that at least 4 bucks around here will be 4.5 or 5.5 this year. Probably will never see them during daylight, but such is hunting.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been pretty good out of state that's for sure. Just giving the home front a little time to mature.....
Old 06-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AK in PA

34. That will be my age by archery season and at present, that seems like a great age to kill a deer. Any deer will do.
That's the way I look at it.I'm happy at whatever legal deer gives me the shot I want to take

Quick Reply: Optimal Age to harvest a deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.