Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default What would you do?

Say your hunting buddy calls you up and says he hit a nice buck. He saw the arrow sticking out when it ran off and it is in the back part of the body. So you figure that he hit the back leg. Would you get right on the trail and try to keep his blood flowingso he will run out of blood or would you wait let him lay down and givehim a chance to seal up his woundand then go track him the next morning?

I'll let everyone know what i did last year and the outcome.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

Would you get right on the trail and try to keep his blood flowingso he will run out of blood
NEVER!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes absolutely get right on his trail. That's your only chance and is backed up by John Trout Jr.in his book Finding Wounded Deer!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would wait. You're not sure where the shot is. You assume it is in the back leg, but not absolutely sure. It could be a gut shot, it could be a liver shot. Taking up the trail too soon on either of those would end up with losing the deer.

When in doubt, back out.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't envision this scenerio at all from the description. I assumed the arrow was clearly and unmistakenly, stuckin the muscle of the rear leg.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try and see what the blood trail looked like. If its a hit in the back leg it may have hit one of the main arteries and there should be a very good blood trail. If so he's going to die fast. If I couldn't find sure sign of a good artery hit then I would come back later and see if it could have possible hit the gut and take it from there.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

If it would of been a gut or a liver shot then, it would of either been a pass thru or just the feathers sticking out. But most of the arrow was sticking out.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RisnerPSE

If it would of been a gut or a liver shot then, it would of either been a pass thru or just the feathers sticking out. But most of the arrow was sticking out.
Not really true. It depends alot on the angle. If it hits on the side of the leg it can pass into the body cavity and hit the othe leg and still not pass through. Or a quartering away shot can go through the ham enough to get into the gut and not hit a major artery in the leg and still not get very good penetration. Can't always just look at the arrow and know what the damage was.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

GR8 what part of lima you live in?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not Lima..North Lima..Near the Ohio, PA border in NE Ohio(Youngstown area)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.