Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What would you do?

ORIGINAL: RisnerPSE

GR8 what part of lima you live in?
PS North Lima isn't big enough to have a "Part" you're either in it or your not.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Lol ok my bad.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 PM

Known bad hit I would give him at least 4 hours before tracking.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd like to know what the OVERALL odds are.....for taking either choice. One individual result wouldn't sway me to change how I approached this situation.

I want to go with the best, provenpractice.

I've heard of success stories from writers and hunters that got on the trail right away.....but the consensus of hunters I read and listen to (i.e. "trust")......tell me to wait.

I'm gonna wait.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

wait, and be ready for a second shot while slowly stalking...

If Id only been ready while tracking I woulda finished off a real nice buck that I pulled the shot on and hit in shoulder blade. BIG MISTAKE! Not to mention my cousin came outta the woods early and jumped the buck as I was watchin him from the tree... that made me pretty mad.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RisnerPSE

Say your hunting buddy calls you up and says he hit a nice buck. He saw the arrow sticking out when it ran off and it is in the back part of the body. So you figure that he hit the back leg. Would you get right on the trail and try to keep his blood flowingso he will run out of blood or would you wait let him lay down and givehim a chance to seal up his woundand then go track him the next morning?

I'll let everyone know what i did last year and the outcome.
Then you say:
If it would of been a gut or a liver shot then, it would of either been a pass thru or just the feathers sticking out. But most of the arrow was sticking out.
You didn't mention that in the first description, and as someone mentioned it would not necessarily have gotten good penetration on either shot.

Also, you said that you did not see the hit, but are going off of second hand information.

With all of that I would definitely wait. I have gotten my share of phone calls like you are describing and we have lost too many deer on what was a "good hit."

If it is a fatal shot and the deer dies quickly he'll still be just as dead if you wait. I have yet to have a deer resurrect and run off, but I sure have caught that flash of white in the flashlight and heard the cracking on brush on deer that "had to be down by now."

Too many lessons learned to try to go to soon.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I killed this 10 pt, by hitting him in his rear. On my second shot the buck turned away from me. I was shootn the loud High Country Excaliber( some of you might remember from the other post). Striken the buck in his rear. Let the buck sit overnite and he was only 40yds from where I shot him. Very lucky I think.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

I would try and see what the blood trail looked like. If its a hit in the back leg it may have hit one of the main arteries and there should be a very good blood trail. If so he's going to die fast. If I couldn't find sure sign of a good artery hit then I would come back later and see if it could have possible hit the gut and take it from there.
said it perfectly
Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would drop the bow, pull the knife and chase him down right then. I wouldn't call a friend or anything. But that is just how I do it. Haven't always, but I do now; I'm a killer, not a waiter...
Old 06-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, OK Top Dawg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.