Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber Boots.....Anybody ever hear this?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubber Boots.....Anybody ever hear this?

I've had the same pair for around 8 years and have not noticed a difference in the way the deer react -
Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whaddya mean rubber boots LOSE their capacity to be scent free?!? None of 'em I've ever seen even START OFF being scent free. Open the box and they ALL smell like synthetic rubber and preservative chemicals, not to mention picking up the sublime aroma of the carboard and plastic they come packaged in.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

Well, when the rubber starts to oxidize, as I'm sure your aware, they get a texture and they start getting brittle. While that might make them "hold scent" I think by that point you would be tossing them anyway. That's why I never leave mine out in the sun.

I always spray my boots down anyway before going in the woods.

Huntingson, never heard of burying them! I guess a couple days couldn't hurt. Do you roll around in the dirt/mud before going hunting? I know a guy who does that.
LOLNo, I don't. Sometimes I probably look like it though. Every once in a while I get the tick to pack my hunting clothes in trash bags with a bunch of pine needles for a couple of days though. Again, I don't know if it helps, but I can't imagine that it hurts anything.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Arthur.....A new camo jacket doesn't START OFF being scent free, either. It takes a "liitle" prep. Boots do, too.

But you knew that.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, you really need hunting season to start buddy. You're starting to crack up.

I guess rubber boots could lose their effectiveness if you've got really smelly feet and the insides absorb so much foot smell that you can't get it out. That stink would probably get out as you walk through the woods. Other than that I can't think of how the rubber would become less like rubber.

Sounds like some information LaCrosse may have leaked.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Bry...lol...I can't remember where I read this. I DO remember hearing that they lose their effectiveness (exterior speaking) in about 2 seasons. I'm guessing it is a ploy by the mfr's.

Never know unless you ask....and I WILL ask.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's when you just turn them inside-out - works for underwear... right?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

My LaCrosse Alpha Burly Sports lost thier effectivness in abouy 10 months. Thats how long it took for them to be destroyed my mesquite thorns. Bass Pro took them back. I used the credit to buy a pair of Red Head Bayou 16" snake boots. They might not be as scent free but I think they will hold up better.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM

I cant see how this would be possible, but my feet sweat so bad in rubber boots that I go with noninsulateddanner pronghorns and just spray the hell out of them
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, if you think ole Mossy Horns can't smell where you stepped your fooiling yourselves. Your enty and exit to stands is one of the major keys to getting a mature big racked buck. I have found that hedge apples make a great cover. Pile you some up right where you park your truck. Smash a couple of them up and walk on them twisting your feet to get it in the soles good, than put a rubber glove on and rub the rest of the boot with them. Deer gospel guys, take it or leave it.

Quick Reply: Rubber Boots.....Anybody ever hear this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.