Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

IMPROVE YOUR SHOOTING SKILLS... NEW OR A VETERAN

Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default IMPROVE YOUR SHOOTING SKILLS... NEW OR A VETERAN

Found this and decided to share as well as added some new stuff that I have read to boot:

Improve Your Shooting Skills

So many bow hunters learn to shoot the same way as I did, by trail and error. The results are, bad habits that will effect your effectiveness on your game. The first six months I started shooting, I knew nothing about shooting a bow.

After working and training with a well known coach, I began to learn what form and accuracy was all about. Leaning to shoot correctly from the beginning, or improve your shooting skills if you have been shooting for some time now, you will stand a much better chance come deer season.

Weather you are shooting 3-D or hunting, be sure to shoot a lot. Your physical abilities are going to fluctuate. Every one has good days and bad days, even good seasons and bad seasons. The key to success is never give up on yourself.

Don’t be afraid to rein your shots if you aren’t as accurate as usual. Shoot a lot so you can keep a handle on your maximum shooting distance and work on building your accuracy and confidence from there. The best way to start is to double check your shooting form.

Inconsistent form will always lead to poor accuracy. Good form must include a consistent follow through with each shot until after the arrow has left the bow. Below you will find some helpful tips on things to watch for during practice. Remember practice makes perfect, and learning to shoot the right way will help you get there.

STAND CORRECTLY[/b]: You should stand with your feet about shoulders length apart , and your toes pointing a few degrees toward the target. Make sure to stand straight up with a straight head and spine, while keeping the knees slightly bent. For right handed shooters, place your right foot afew inches ahead of the left and turn your chest slightly toward the target. This should open up your arm to string clearance.

DRAW YOUR BOW:[/b] Extend your bow arm toward the target and draw the string to the side of your face . Hold your bow in a relaxed closed hand , do not grip the bow tightly . A tight grip will cause torque in your shot and cause your arrow to shoot right or left of your target. Some bow hunters shoot with a open hand, if you do this make sure you use a sling that ties your wrist to the bow.

ANCHOR TO YOUR FACE:[/b] Most archers anchor along the jawbone, this is the best place. But no matter where you choose to anchor your string hand, be comfortable and be consistent . Your aiming eye should be more or less behind the bowstring. Most bow hunters use a peep to look directly through the string.This also helps keep the bow level when shooting. Also get a kisser buttonto ensure you use the same anchor pointeverytime youshoot. This is something I strongly recommend if you are having trouble keeping the same anchor point because it will give you consistent anchoring from shot to shot.

AIM CONSISTENTLY:[/b] Most bow hunters aim with sights the key to accuracy is to move your pin on target , stopping and then releasing . Do not release while you are still on the move . Weather you choose to come up on the target from below or come down on the target. The key to consistently is doing it the same way every time .

A SMOOTH RELEASE[/b]: If you draw the string with a release aid , be sure to lightly squeeze the trigger . Slapping or punching a release aid will take away some of your accuracy . This will also cause you to have right and left shots. Imagine you have a steel cable attached to the static hook that runs up to th elbow, around the back of the upper arm and connects to the scapula on your right shoulder (for right handed shooters). Start moving back as if you are trying to squeeze an apple between your should blades. Remember not to move your trigger finger. Let the elbow and back movement tighten your finger on the trigger. Eventually the bowstring will pull taut against the wall of the cam’s draw cycle and give no more. Keep pulling through until the shot goes off. (Visa vi release through back tension)

FOLLOW THROUGH YOUR SHOT[/b]: I feel this is the most important thing , and gets over look to many times is your follow through . This means you should continue to aim on your target until the arrow hits . Holding your bow up , with the sight until the arrow actually impacts . To many times we try to see our shot before we ever finish making it . This will cause many misses and low shots , if you want to shoot well aim until the arrow actually hits. The farther the target the more important this becomes.

PRACTICE:[/b] Is one of the most important things that helps you become a better shooter. My favorite practice is about 4 to 5 yards in front of my practice bag with my eyes closed. The only thing I am working on is holding my bow the same place every time. Also anchoring the same place every time. Just getting the feel over and over on how my shots should feel. Try doing this a few days a week, then your shooting will feel a lot more natural to you.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: IMPROVE YOUR SHOOTING SKILLS... NEW OR A VETERAN

i'm going to print that at work tomorrow and tape it up in my shop as a reminder. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good info. Also, we've got to remember the mental game... if you don't have any confidence or any "think you can" it isn't going to happen. Focus is what it's alllll about.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Great info. I'm always looking for ways to improve my shooting.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting is a mental game, these tips are excellent and will help anyone improve their skills. But some of the rules change slightly when hunting elevated stands. So practice from your stand as well as the height you normally hunt from, get used to where to aim at differnet distances. It may just help you bag the trophy of your dreams.