Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Archery

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default New to Archery

Hey guys,

So I have to start by saying this website (and this forum in particular) is awesome. I decided I would finally post after reading tons. I am new to bow hunting (have been gun hunting for a few years mostly moose deer and bear) and need some advice.I want to extend my season so a bow seems to be the next step.Where do you guys who live in the big city's go to practice? I am in the suburbs of Toronto and there is not room in my backyard to go shoot everyday not to mention that the neighbours would probably have the police at our door as the arrows flew into there yards. I don't want to buy a bow then only shoot it a couple of times and start hunting with it as I don't think its fair to the game I would be hunting. Thanks in advance for the tips. The next question is of course what bow to go buy and all the other stuff I need but I know what kind of debates that question can start!! I will just go read some old posts !

Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to Archery

Well you come from a place with great hunting(Canada)

Just ask and you will for sure get some anwsers

Do you have a hunting club near by?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks! The hunting is awesome up here. Not that I know of for a close by club (but i will look around and see if I can find something) . I do have some friends not too far away where I hunt but its about a 2 hour drive each way. A little long to just go for some shooting after work. The local rod and gun clob had its shooting ranges/bow course closed so they could run a Hwy through there backyard!! Way too many liberal's in the city!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well first of all let me start off by saying welcome to the world of archery and bow hunting , your going to have alot of fun.
Now for the advice .. look around for local pro shops and 3D range's they will provide you everything your looking for as far as bow's and evrything else that goes with it.
As for shooting practice in your backyard if it's legal in your area , all you need is enough room for a thrity yard shot and make sure you have a good back drop to stop your arrow's from going thru into some nighbors yard.
A good back drop should be real thick and dense enough to stop your arrow from going thru like bales of hay or straw or maybe some good dense hard foam , I use an old hot tub cover that happens to be four inch's thick.
As for bow's , get one that you feel you can pull back with ease and be able to hold it in a draw position for a long time.
Shop around , don't settle for the first one you go to and compair price's some shop's will have sales and most place's will have bow's all set up and ready to shoot.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks RDHunter. I will be going to the local pro-shop hopefully to purchase something by the end of the month.I figure that I won't be hunting (achery anyways) until 2008. They are pretty good when I have dealt with them on other purchase's so hopefully they will be good with a bow as well. I think they are probably going to end up being the answer on where to shoot as well, since my backyard is about 12 yards long at best. I know I am getting off topic on my own thread but how do you know what feels good when you have never really shot a bow before?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll know , whenyou pull the bow back to the draw position and you'll be able to pull it with no struggle or effort then it should feel right.
Your pro - shop dealer will help you out alot and if you trust his / her judgement and you think that they'er giving you a good deal then go with them.
If they know what they are doing then they should be able to set you up and measure your draw length and draw wheight and adjust your bow accordingly.
You should be able to get your arrows thru them as well , they might have to cut them to your length , remember a good local pro shop will do that for you in order to keep your repeated bisseness.