Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

YOUR buck to doe "harvest" ratio?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: YOUR buck to doe "harvest" ratio?

Since getting back into it 3 years ago, I'm 3:1 doe to buck.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

5 or 6 Does for every Buck is generally what we strive for. Of course, IL has NO LIMIT on Antlerless-Only Archery deer so that makes it easy.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I've been seriously bow hunting for 3 years now.

6 does

0 bucks. [&o]
Hold your head high, thats nothing to be ashamed of.
Yes I agree!!! There are plenty of buck killers in MI, I'll take you in camp over them Mobo

30 does 20 bucks

And 0 button bucks I was lucky my first deer was a doe fawn. Could have done either way
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

1:3 Buck to Doe ratio

Last year it was 3:3 ...wont count on that happening again!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

2:1
D:B
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only one of each for me, but it could have been many more does if I could buy the tags.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM

4:1 does to buck
Old 06-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A typical year for me at home is one buck and two does.That would be inclusive of all seasons,bow,rifle,muzzleloader.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

This is really my fourth year of serious bowhunting. I've taken 4 bucks and just one doe with the bow. Now that I've got a few archery deer under my belt, I'll be more selective about the bucks that I take. At this point, I think I'll only shoot a buck if it's worthy of going on the wall. Otherwise, I'm taking a doe.
This mirrors me to some extent. I think Dan alsocited "recent" figures. I'll come clean on all accounts.

This will be my 3rd deer hunting season. The 1st year....I took nothing. Last year...my buck/doe ratio was 4:1. Well that's just pitiful (I know, now). I shot a 7 pointer for my first deer ever.......a 2.5 yr old that I'd never shoot, now, but for my first deer...I sure was (and AM) proud of him. My second deer was a piebald BB. No regrets, so far. My third was a buck I shot outside my hunting area....on the Eastern side of our state (2 hrs from my home). In this zone...it's a 4 buck area (can legally take 4 bucks a season), and I had a family of 14 that I was going to donate anything shot to. The guys told me to shoot anything. I did. Back home....I took a doe in late Oct. I then took my 8 pointer on 12/9.

After the season....I started asking a lot of questions towards my GW....I went to a QDMA seminar.....started a dialogue with my wildlife biologist (NCWRC biologist for my area). I wanted to learn how to make the herd HERE healthier.

Knowing what I know, now......I wouldn't change a thing (about LAST season). Knowing what I know, now.....I'll approach this and subsequent seasons a LOT differently. At the end of THIS season.....my overall buck:doe ratiowill likely be better than 1:2 (yes....I plan on shooting 7-8 does, THIS year). I'll adjust for '08, accordingly.

I have never taken a deer that I wished I hadn't. I hope to always be able to say that.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 AM

mines 4-1

Quick Reply: YOUR buck to doe "harvest" ratio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.