Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

brace hieght for finger shooters?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default brace hieght for finger shooters?

so being a finger shooter do you want a longer or shorter brace height? whether a whisker or a 2 prong (non-drop away)...the longer the brace height the longer i have to keep my left hand still to keep my arrow flying straight???? so wouldn't i want a shorter brace height to make it so that i would not have to keep my left hand still for a longer period of time??

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brace hieght for finger shooters?

Longer Brace height,arrow is on the string for a shorter period of time,less likely a less than perfect release can influence it.The shorter the brace height,the more critical a bow is to shoot,and the more flawless your form needs to be.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

For a good fingers shooting setup, you want a bow that's longer axle to axle. Ideally over 40" but some can make it work with shorter bows, depending on their (shorter) draw length and experience.

A higher brace height. A fingers shooter imparts lateral oscillation to the string on release. A higher brace lets the arrow clear the string sooner so the string will interfere less with the arrow's paradox.

Some will say otherwise, but you want neither a whisker biskit nor a dropaway for fingers shooting. The arrow needs a contact point on the side to help it go into paradox. You need something like the Golden Key Futura Star Hunter or Huntmaster, or a flipper rest like the Cavalier FreeFlyte. The NAP Centerest works well also and is very inexpensive. The old springie rest is still being made by GKF, it's also dirt cheap and it's darn hard to beat - as long as you limit yourself to shooting feather fletched arrows.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i don't use feathers....what do you think the best rest would be?? i am shooting a 2 prong style rest and do just fine,,,but i would like to see my groupings get better......brother just switched to a release and is way more consistand then he was with fingers before.....problem i have is i am shooting, i believe 37"axle parker hunter mag...at 31" draw the angle on my nock is too great (atleast i believe it would be) to shoot a release...so i have just stuck with my fingers
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a 35" axle to axle bow I shoot at 32" draw with a release. I definitely recommend a string loop for a release. I guarantee if I tried to hook directly to the string on my bow, the nock would pinch off and the arrow would be on the ground by the time I got to full draw. A loop that's tied above and below the arrow nock will keep the string square to the arrow's nock so it can't pinch off the string.

If you just WANT to shoot fingers with that bow, I could tell you how I'd do it.

I'd use a Cavalier FreeFlyte flipper rest.

I'd use two nock points, one above and one below the arrow nock. These nock points would be made from serving thread and tied on, not the brass clamp nocks. The thread nocks won't pinch the arrow nock and they won't tear up a tab or glove like the brass ones can.

And I would use a 2-finger release. One finger over, one under the nock. Basically, drawing normally but dropping the ring finger off the string when I got to anchor. I've done a lot of shooting with my 35" bow like this.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

who makes the "Cavalier FreeFlyte flipper rest".......i just googled it and no manufacturer comes up....

can you tell my why you think the whisker is not a good idea? i have heard finger shooters should use it, but being a greenhorn i don't know the pros/cons of it being a finger shooter other than what was stated above about finger shooters having an arrow have latteral movement instead of vertical movement...

thanks Arthur i appreciate your advice,
Josh
Old 06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go to this website and watch some of these high speed vids of bows being shot with fingers release. Note especially the one titled "The First Phase of Flight." Watch what the arrows do. You'll see right off the bat that a whisker bisquit will seriously impair an arrow's flight off the bow for a fingers shooter. I know some guys shoot wb's with fingers. They might be able to get away with it but my opinion is wb's are not even close to being suitable fingers rests.

The other rests I mentioned are designed for fingers shooting and can be used perfectly well with a release if you want.

http://www.wernerbeiter.com/en/informations/videoclips/the_way_to_the_center.php

Here's Cavalier's website.

http://cavalier.safeshopper.com/
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I'd use a GKF Plunger.

Here is the link to Cavalier:

http://cavalier.safeshopper.com/27/cat27.htm?363