Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to get a buck to leave a weed field.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default How to get a buck to leave a weed field.

Last yearI found the buck that I am going to spend most of my time hunting this year. But the problem is he beds in a weed field that is very thick and it is about 300 yards by 200 yards. I seen him a few times last year but he never leaves the field during hunting hours. One time last year i saw him wondering around in the field about an hour before dark and called my buddy togethimmovingmy way. He did and the buck stayed right in the field watching him. It was actually kinda of funny howthe buckwould run and then sneak around him. So my question is how would you guys attempt to get him to the wood line or in the woodswithout spooking him and scaring him off the property, because that is the last thingI want to do. I even tried a small food plot on the edge of the woods last year and nothing.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to get a buck to leave a weed field.

without spooking him and scaring him off the property
cant be done. I have the same problem with deer in standing corn and also in weeds/grass. Another thought. When you see him during the season, even in the weeds have you tried stalking him?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is a great use for a crossbow if they are legal in your state. I have not tried it because it is not legal in MI. I would go lay in the field with an X-bow and try and shoot the buck.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the rut. Kill a doe and cut off her glands and steal her piss. Use a true talker and the can. Put a decoy out now and cover it with a canvas bag hung from a rope that you can lift from your stand. On the right day, dump the piss, hang the glands, take mama out of the bag and start calling him in.
If that doesn't work, get your buddy to stay at a close distance again this year, doing something that keeps the big-boys attention and then sneak up on him and kill him. Shoot him with an arrow, drop the bow and chase him down. You need to be running now to condition yourself. With any luck he'll run somewhere that your buddy can see you jump on him and stab him to death.
Don't be scared of the killing part, it's natural, but your buddy might think you're a freak!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

This is a great use for a crossbow if they are legal in your state. I have not tried it because it is not legal in MI. I would go lay in the field with an X-bow and try and shoot the buck.
Huh?? whats the crossbow advantage here?? Weeds are weeds arrows and bolts, both shoot the same through weeds. Range being equal with either, why not hunt the field with your bow draw, stand, squat, whatever.

Try a decoy in a place that's visible to the buck, in pre rut, rut.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Get into the field... go for him on his turf. Stalk, ground blind etc. in the field. If you accomplish getting him like this;hunting him down.. Imagine how you'll feel. The pride in that.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Germ, are you meaning so you can be more stealthy and minimizing your movement with the crossbow - i.e., rising and immediately aiming and firing the xbow once you have a clear lane versus having to rise, draw back, aim and release. That couple of seconds could mean all the difference.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the ground blind thing might be a good way to go. Set it up in his field when he isn't around a couple weeks in advance and if you have to, go in at night when he is out and maybe you'll get lucky and catch him during legal hours.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: chucker34

Germ, are you meaning so you can be more stealthy and minimizing your movement with the crossbow - i.e., rising and immediately aiming and firing the xbow once you have a clear lane versus having to rise, draw back, aim and release. That couple of seconds could mean all the difference.
yes that is it. You can lay flat on the ground. Xbow is a tool for shooting deer. This is a good use for one.
GR8 a buddy mine in MI had the same issue. He had a permit for an Xbow. He just layed on his belly and caught the big boy walking through the field.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool...glad it worked for him

Quick Reply: How to get a buck to leave a weed field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.