Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Exercises for the Archery Season

Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Exercises for the Archery Season

I'll second the cardio. No doubt lifting is helpful but cardio time is as important if no more than weight training when especially when getting ready for an elk hunt.

On a side note I have been practicing setting real still in my stand. I do this with several hours of remaining motionless on the couch. My wife says I am really getting the hang of it. Not doing much for my physique though.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Bartender

Im all for you pal on this one for sure. Helps for when the moment of truth comes.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't know, Lebeau....

I caught a bunch of crap on here for saying that I would occasionally draw down on an animal I had no intentions of shooting. The main reason cited was the chance I'd accidentally shoot the animal.

I never said I put the sight pin on the animal. I have, though, saw an animal approach.....come to full draw....and let off.....just like I was going to take that animal. It's tougher than just "drawing your bow" in the back yard. Doing so in stealth mode requires a little more strength. It's good practice if you asked me......and the article I read last night reinforces this.

Letting off is ALSO something that should be practiced "live" (IMO and the BM article author). I've had to do it on more than one occasion onanimals I've taken. What better practice could there be?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM

There is a method of training that combines both cardio and weights. It is commonly called circuit training. I play soccer, and I am also getting older--51 now. I have maintained my playing time by using this method. You use weights in semi-moderate levels, based on what you are capable of. I, for example, do shoulder presses--3 sets of 8 with 40 lbs dumbbells, get on one of those mini trampolines and run for 60 seconds, with no rest between sets. Then I do bent over rows with 60 lbs bumbbells, same amount of sets and go immdediately to the trampoline.Then I do abs, 3 sets of 15 reps, go to leg extensions on a machine, 3 sets of 15 reps(200), leg presses( 355), same amount of sets, then bench press, 3 sets of 8(170), and flys, 3 sets of 8(60), and end with tricep extensions(60), and bicep curls(40), all with the same 60 seconds of running on the trampoline in between with no rest--well virtually no rest--maybe 15 seconds or so. Off days I walk and stretch.I shoot a 80 lbs Tribute set at 74 lbs, and I have no trouble pulling slowly and with control. Many times I shoot immediately after training, to replicate the 'buck ever' that I usually experience when drawing on an animal. I would emphasis that it is good to do this for bow season, but better to adopt it as a life style change. The benefits are worth it.