Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Exercises for the Archery Season

Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Exercises for the Archery Season

Edited.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

GMAT, if memory serves me correctly what I commented on back then was the possibility of spooking something which could lead to the spooking of other deer, even the possbility of a spooked deer leaving warning scent in the area (I believe this is something that is being studied). Maybe even something which you would want to shoot. I don't believe I commented on the possbility of you wounding something.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, sounds good to me. I guess like Bob, if close to the season my only concern would be educating the deer.

I don't think wounding is that legitimate of a concern. Is it possible? Yes. Lots of things are possible. Is it likely? Not at all if someone has been bowhunting for a while. Could I fall out of my stand and kill myself? Possibly. Could I not see a car in my blindspot and get in a wreck this afternoon? Possibly. Could an arrow shatter on release and blind me? Possibly. Most activities carry some risk. In this instance, the risks are so small that people should not get carried away with their moral grandstanding.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germ hit the nail on the head "it's not always about being strong." Don't forget that more reps with a moderate weightis better for endurance training. About the only thing that brute strength will help you do, is load that big bull into the truck...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best thing you can do is pushups in my opinion. Cheapest exercise, easiest exercise, and in my opinion, the most effective.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing to add to the good advice already given,providing equal time to strengthening your legs is a big part of structural stability and balance.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pushups are good.

I'm already in my pre-season regimine.

Walk/run 2 to 2 1/2 miles, four times a week (I will up the mileage as I close in on hunting season).

Lift weights (15 lb hand weights and 65 lb on a curl bar) every other day.
Upright row (10 reps, 3 sets each w/ hand and curl bar)
Curl (biceps)( same as above)
Overhead and bench press (hand weighs only because of old injury to
left shoulder)
Extended arm raise (hand weights only)
Situps (as many as I can do at one sitting)
Pushups (modified because of shoulder injury)

And of course, I shoot my bow three times a week, five times a week the month before the season.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Nothing to add to the good advice already given,providing equal time to strengthening your legs is a big part of structural stability and balance.
Good point

Leg Press
Squats
Lunges(I hate these, but they are great)
Calf lift(what I call it)
Leg curl(front and back)
Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Bobco....

yes. That was your stance, then. I edited my original response (above)......and you are correct.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

I don't know if its been mentioned (I haven't read the entire thread) but don't forget your cardio. If you do any kind of extended hiking during the season, running during the year will definitely help.

I've already started. I used to love running but quit for about two years. The first time I ran this year I pushed myself too hard trying to run a six minute mile again. I wound up not only puking on the side of the road, but I pulled muscles in both legs. Not smart. Point is, whatever you do, ease into it.

Quick Reply: Exercises for the Archery Season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.