Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDMA

Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM

Default QDMA

( Quality Deer Managment Association) I am from indiana and recently became a member of QDMA , tips on deer management ,foodplots and all sorts of helpful info u will find here, a yearly membership includes 6 issues of quality whitetails . This is the future of deerhunting. go to www.qdma.com or email me at [email protected] for more info
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QDMA

Quality deer managment is fine with me. Its antler managment that has me concerned.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 AM

QDMA is not about the antler size there about the proper buck to doe population and age structure. But we all know with age comes antler size. I'm from Indiana and i manage the herd for numbers but i only shoot 3-1/2 or older that score 140" or better thats my personal limit. but i keep the does in check even thought there are still to many i can only shoot a sertain number a year
Old 06-12-2007, 06:02 AM

QDMA is not about the antler size there about the proper buck to doe population and age structure
LOL.....buck/doe ratio and age structure may very well be a side benefit to QDM, but I don't care what ANYBODY says, QDM is about antlers, which is about money. I'm not even gonna get started on this one......

For those of you that manage your own land and practice this, I have absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, for the record. It's your land, your deer, do as you see fit.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I copied this post from one of your members and supporters & if this is all the respect you have for deer I want no part of your organization.
Some of you really need to take a good look at thepost you make , its almost as if doe are considered as vermin andshould be killedevery time and in any way possible.
The white tailed doe deserves all the respect a great buck receives ,she is the only reason he is there.

QDMA Life Member, Sponsor Member and Donor.
QDMA …better deer, better deer hunting
42 acres in the Haymarsh Swamp, near Moorestown, MI.

While I only have 42 acres, I do the best I can. Harvest guidelines are pretty simple, don't shoot yearling bucks. Unless you are out of antlerless permits, kill every doe that stands still long enough to put cross hairs on.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I worry about "antler managment".
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Thats why I worry about "antler managment".
Lets just talk about what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is to manage the herd, here.....1) because we have too many deer and 2) because I want to see more "quality" BUCKS.

The only problem I have with this is the perception that it's ALL about the management of the numbers. Sure...that's a part of it (or they'd just call it "Deer Management"). Less deer competing for the same amount of food over a particular resource..... = more "quality" deer.....more "healthy" deer.

But if I saidI didn't think there was a greater chance of shooting a 130" deer in my future (and this tidbit comprising a BIG part of why I choose to go down this path)...I'd be lying.

I can honestly tell you, though....I'd still practice herd management.....if they told me the bucks here weren't going to get any bigger. I hate to see the thin ones running around.

When a4.5 yr oldhalf-rackbuck gets a pass......and a 3.5 yr old 120" deer gets taken.......I think we all see right through the QDMA ruse. When ANY juvenile buck (less than 3.5 yrs) gets "culled".....well....I just question the thought process (if, indeed, QDMA is your goal).

Wanna test a QDMA'er......put a 130" 2.5 yr old in fornt of him.....and a 120" 4.5 yr old. Watcha think's gonna happen? Good test, huh? I'm going to have to watch this myself, this year. I've got a dandy little 2.5 yr old that honestly....I might have trouble passing on.....and a 3.5 yr old that had a half-rack, last year. My biologist says that me taking a buck off the property I hunt won't hurt a thing. I AM trying to thin the herd....and it is another mouth contending for food. I need to look within, deep.

I agree with Greg.

to the guys who practice QDMA to the letter......kudos. I applaud your efforts.

As a < 3rd season deer hunter, though.....I have to be honest. If I see a deer larger than last year's (rack size)......I'm probably going to take him. If he's a 2.5yr old.....I can live with that. What I CAN'T do.....is continue to do that.....and still talk about the deer size (bucks) in my woods. I'm aware of that. Maybe he IS 3.5 this yr?? I'm not that good at aging them on the hoof.....but he had all the signs of a dandy 1.5 yr old, last yr. I honestly hope I don't have to make the decision. I'd like to see him (as I did, last year)....and have him skirt me. He'll likely go 100" or so, this season.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always put it this way "I'm a hunter not a manager".
Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I copied this post from one of your members and supporters & if this is all the respect you have for deer I want no part of your organization.
Some of you really need to take a good look at thepost you make , its almost as if doe are considered as vermin andshould be killedevery time and in any way possible.
The white tailed doe deserves all the respect a great buck receives ,she is the only reason he is there.

QDMA Life Member, Sponsor Member and Donor.
QDMA …better deer, better deer hunting
42 acres in the Haymarsh Swamp, near Moorestown, MI.

While I only have 42 acres, I do the best I can. Harvest guidelines are pretty simple, don't shoot yearling bucks. Unless you are out of antlerless permits, kill every doe that stands still long enough to put cross hairs on.
If I look at a few quotes from some hunters, I would not hunt

Judging a group on what one member says is a little unfair IMO.
I have herd deer called "meat sack" by members here. Should I not be a member of HNI than? No there are kuckle heads everywhere. There are some very good people in QDMA.

People like to rag on them, but what is worst.

A group that wants deer numbers so inflated we get disease andover browsing? Talk to some of the guys in UP in MI. The deer yards have been destroyed because of over populations. Will take years to recover in some areas.

EDIT:

I am just showing the other side, not saying QDMA is perfect or right.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

A group that wants deer numbers so inflated we get disease andover browsing?
I can't stand the thought of this, germ. I'v ealmost got that, now......or it's heading in that direction. If I could see half the deer I see, now......3 years from now.....I'd take that and be happy.

The "up" side to the situation I have now is.....I get to hunt. if my numbers were incredibly low (the flip side of the equation).....I would hate to sit seasons out.

Quick Reply: QDMA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.