Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDMA

Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QDMA

When ever I see a post about"QDM" or theQDMA I know many will approach the thread with guns a blazin'!

FIRST, I must remind everyone that QDM isclaimed to be practiced by many folks in one form or another, however to often "QDM" is NOT practiced and applied as the founders of the term (the QDMA)meant for it to be!"QDM" is thrown around like some catch phrase when I can assure you, most folks simply have NO idea of what they speak! The QDMA does NOT support and approve of many folks who so loosly throw their terms and phrases around.Also, "QDM" should NOTbe confused with "TDM", they are totally different concepts and practices! [&:]

The QDMAis a group of individuals that represent THEmost-respected deer biologists, researchers and experts from around the country, it is not a single practice but an org. that works to promote sound management by educating sportsman about what needs to be done in order to regain control of todays herds and put the ratios and herd health back in check. Decades of improper hunting methods based on lack of sound biological facts have left todays herds badly out of whack and seriously scewed sex ratios. It's time to standup and take some responsibilty and all do our part.The QDMAneeds the help and support of serious management minded sportsman everywhere. It's a great, informative org and one you can be proud to be a part of. I tire of not seeing the org get the respect and attention it deserves because of the fact that a few uneducated individuals who know nothing about the org throw around some terms that they read in a magazine! It's NOT what several of you Antis think it is. Please take some time to actually look over the site and try to see if you understand where they're coming from and exactly what it is they are trying to do for our sport? I simply ask that anyone who wants to throw around the term "QDM" take some time to understand exactly what it IS! Thank you, good luck and good huntin'

Remember, "Shoot a Doe so the herd won't grow" and "Let 'em go soHE can grow"

Imageby "Cornfed", not ofically QDMA endorsed
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a major deer overpopulation I see nothing wrong with killing every doe that "stands still long enough". How else can you solve that problem?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to admit that is refreshing to see folks that aren't afraid to kill Does.

Stop attaching Disney personalities to 'em and git-r-dun!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think QDM is a bad thing and I think the QDMA site is very good and very informative. Some of the information that often gets overlooked on their site is that QDM is not practical for everyone and they even give a question and answer type format to see if it will likely work for you. For some of us it's not really practicalbut that doesn'tmean that you can't put some QDM practices to work for you. However,they stress having realistic expectations based on yourpersonal situation.

One area of their site that is worth reading is:
Quality Deer Management: A Paradigm for the Future

(it is under the why QDM? section)

It stresses the organization of hunters andways that QDM practices will benefit us (hunters) in the years to come. There is also a section that describes many problems facing current herds based on traditionalmanagement tactics that were developed when deer herd populations wererelatively low. Those tactics were valid then but not so good for an established herd and as the herd/populationgrew some of the management tactics should have changed as well, some states are already changingand more will follow.

I am not a QDM die hard by any means but one thing I like about the QDMA is they are concerned with the future management of deer herds(on a large scale) and there is a lot of information to be learned from them that can help you as a hunter (whether you are into QDM or not).
Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kan't be piky in these here parts, ain't nough deer round her. So I saaa "If it be brown, it also be down", hot dam!

By the way... I shot me a deer and I can't find the dang thing... And the last one I got there taste gamey......

Can't eat the head bone, or spike or whatever ya call it!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

QDM is not practiced by hunters, no matter what they say because true QDM would result in a herd that is not necessarily in the hunters' best interests. QDM if successful would mean a herd that has a 1:1 buck to doe ratio and numbers that are not in excess of the carrying capacity of the land. This number oftentimes is frighteningly low to hunters and you would not see many deer or have many hunters with a herd like this.

Hunters are a tool used by biologists and conservation groups to practice QDM. The biologists have to walk a fine line because they want to do what is best for the herd and the habitat, but need the hunters in order to do that. If they were completely successful in their goal many hunters would lose interest andthe biologistswould no longer have them available as a management tool.

As a result of this the biologists have to do the best they can with the herd, while keeping the hunters happy. What does this mean? Enough does to keep meat in the freezer (usually a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio) and big antlered bucks, because, well, hunters like to decorate their walls.

So, is QDM about anter management? To a degree, yes, but that is only so the biologists don't lose their management tools (us) for regulating the herds.