Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Do you view standing corn as a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to your deer hunting? Why?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Good if its a small food plot you are hunting, bad if all the neighbors have left it standing late into the season. It gives them more cover and allows the deer to spread out more. I know a few years ago we had a lot of rain and the farmers couldnt get their corn off before the gun season. The "harvest" numbers were way down in our area. It didnt bother me that much being a bow hunter though, just figured a few more bucks made it to next season. Also when the farmers harvest their corn it makes our small corn plots that much better.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like I said in buckeyes thread, when standing corn exists, the deer are in it and at times damn hard to get out. I've hunted corn all my life and prefer when the fields are beans although beans are hard to compete against. The reason I say this is because deer love corn, I've seen more and bigger bucks once the corn is cut or wasn't there to begin with. It's the best when they cut the corn prior to the end of my archery season although that rarely happens. Corn equals good if it's cut, bad if the deer never come out of it.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Very, very good thing. It's the best bedding cover there is, though I'm no expert. I wish the corn around here was still standing come bow season, I would make a corn chute to a strategic spot.....But alas, it's all cut the first week or so of September. I've always wanted to still hunt standing corn on windy and/or rainy day too.

It's been my experience that corn draws deer as garbage does flies.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM

I'm hoping its good since the peninsula of ag land that juts into my woods has been planted corn instead of alfalfa for the first time in 4 years. I'm hoping they will move outside of it other than night time!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question.....both good and bad. If the field is small enough, and/or if there is any easy/obvious setup at the entry/exit of the field, it is a good thing. If the field is too big and hard to huntthe entry/exit(s) (because of multiple entrys), then it is a bad thing to me. Corn usually means there will be deer around, so the corn usually means good deer hunting.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

It matters from one location to another and even on the same land.

Example:
Standing corn in front of our farm, bad very bad for me

Standing corn in the back Oh yeah!! I have never been blanked with standing corn in the back, but the front has got me a couple times. Still working on how to hunt it the best.

reason is there isno way for me to get close to setup on them. In the back there are a pile of funnels I can hunt between the corn fields. + it holds the does back there.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Like I said in buckeyes thread, when standing corn exists, the deer are in it and at times damn hard to get out. I've hunted corn all my life and prefer when the fields are beans although beans are hard to compete against. The reason I say this is because deer love corn, I've seen more and bigger bucks once the corn is cut or wasn't there to begin with. It's the best when they cut the corn prior to the end of my archery season although that rarely happens. Corn equals good if it's cut, bad if the deer never come out of it.
2nd that! Its usually a pretty bad thing at some places I hunt... But a small plot is good, cause its not enough cover for them to feel safe, so they travel to and fro, twice a day... prrrrrrefect for bowhunters [8D]
Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beans and alfalfa are a huge draw in the summer months... Corn is the #1 draw during hunting season.

If I had it my way I would have corn on my hunting grounds every year.

Corn gives you many advantages...

With beans if you do not have access to the property other than thru the fields you are screwed in the mornings and cannot hunt the farm at all. In the evening as well you are running deer out of the bean fields no matter how stealthy you attempt to exit. Corn will conceal your movements and a lot of the noise that is unavoidable during the walk in / out.

I wrote more about this in my post if you have time check it out for more of my thoughts if you are interested.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Buckeye....I read your explanation on the other thread.....and I hope you didn't mind me bringing the discussion over here.

Your strategy is both pragmatic and a testament to positive thinking. In thinking about it.....the largest fields around me are likely less than 25 acres on one side of their bedding area......and 50 on the other. The thing is.....it was almost ALL beans, last year.....and will (naturally) be corn, this year. They have to eat, though....and I think for the most part.....they're not going to permanently change their bedding areas due to the food source.

I hope you're right! I only found the deer I hunt, last year....after a pitiful approach to '05. I hope they're still using the same funnels come Sept/Oct that they did last year.

Quick Reply: Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.