Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Guys I have read your storiesabout your pathetic little corn patches. Try pulling the bucksout of two thousand acres of the stuff.Them bucks don't do to much fighting or breeding in the standing corn. There is usually a main route that a mature buck will use to exit and enter the corn. Walk the edges before season and try and find it. If you climb to about 25 feet you can see them moving thru the corn.
Oh cry us a river about how hard you have it down in Kansas. Boohoo.

We all know you have Booners behind every other tree, so quit your whining.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Guys I have read your storiesabout your pathetic little corn patches. Try pulling the bucksout of two thousand acres of the stuff.Them bucks don't do to much fighting or breeding in the standing corn. There is usually a main route that a mature buck will use to exit and enter the corn. Walk the edges before season and try and find it. If you climb to about 25 feet you can see them moving thru the corn.
Oh cry us a river about how hard you have it down in Kansas. Boohoo.

We all know you have Booners behind every other tree, so quit your whining.
Yeah really! Poor poor Kansas hunter....
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Standing corn is not usually productive for me especially during early bow season. We have about 600 acres of onegiant corn field in the shape of a rectangle. Makes it nearly impossible to catch the deer moving in and out of almost 1.5 miles or tree line. When the corn is up I hunt the creek bottom because they have to drink. Now when the corn is cut its game on for hunting the field edge where I can see and pattern what trails they using easier.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Not much corn here in Eastern Oklahoma but when I travel to Nebraska I always call and make sure the corn has been harvested before I drive up. Seem like hunting a needle in a hay stack to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:34 PM

Just remembered that on a Minnesota-focused hunting and fishing site last yeara guy posted a picture of his "corn stand." It's basically a six foot tall step ladder he modified with a seat on the top and foot pad near the top so he could sit just above the corn with enough room to draw and aim at the deer through openings in the corn (after breaking a few tops off. He set it up far in the corn near travel paths and also just a few rows in near water sources and fencelines, etc.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Standing corn is awesome where I hunt. I ussually place my stands near them, especially morning stands. Last year my neighbour left his corn wa6y late into the season and with all the deer tracks it looked like a highway back there. Saw a lot of good bucks but bot any im looking for.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

On the property I hunt we had standing corn late into the year and had many frustrating hunts up until the rut. Yes, we knew the deer were there, but they rarely came out of it, I could hear deer walking through the middle of this field but couldn't see them. Once the corn was picked, deer were flogging under my stand and I shot two does and a nice buck. Although, our late season hunting was amazing due to all of the corn left on the ground.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm nota big fan of standing corn. They just don't seem to come out of the corn where I hunt, until night time. The standing corn provides both food and cover, so they don't need to leave except to get some water now and then.

I like it alot better when the deer have to leave their bedding areas to eat. You actually have a chance at ambushing them as they move from cover to food sources. With corn, the cover IS the food source. They can stay in there pretty much all day if they wanted to.

Not only that, but summer scouting is alot easier when there are shortcrops like soybeans instead of standing corn. You really can't glass the fields in the summertime with standing corn. It takes some of the excitement away. There's nothing like seeing a few nice bucks in a bean field in August to get you excited about the hunting season.

The only thing I like about standing corn is stalking row by row on windy or rainy days. That is a fun way to bowhunt, although I haven't had any success doing this yet.

A picked cornfield is a whole different story. I love those....