Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Standing corn can be good if you have an isolated water source. Standing corn only provides 2 of the 3 basic needs for deer, food, and cover. They still need to drink, so if you can set up on the water and they visit during the day you still have a fighting chance. If there is a lot of water available, or worse, a runoff ditch in the corn game over.

Another option is a corn chute if the land owner will allow you to make one. This is pretty good if you have an oak flat that is producing. Deer love the corn but they'll still come to the acorns. If you make a corn chute leading to the acorns you have a sweet ambush sight.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Standing corn can be hunted effectively by pushing a few rows to the ground if the landowner or farmer will allow this - deer by nature like open areas but also love security which is why standing corn will hold large numbers of deer utilizing it as a bedding area - I have knocked a few rows down about 20 yards deep and could not tell you how many deer have started using it as a travel corridor - in the instance i have used this tactic it has always been more active in the afternoon hunts

Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

it works much better when you throw it on the ground
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

This brings up a question my buddy and I were talking about last night.

If I plant a field in corn andmow it down instead of harvesting it...is that considered baiting? If not I would imagine you would have every deer, turkey, goose, duck, raccoon, and other animals in there all year long.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's rather immaterial to me. I haven't noticed a dramatic affect in my hunting. I'll move and adapt to whatever the situation dictates. However, if standing corn well into the huntign season is going to allow a few more bucks to slip thru to next year, I'm all for it.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good for me i usually leave it standing except for one or tworow if it is a small plot of it then it gives em covor and food.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Standing corn, frustrating to hunt but atleast you KNOW where the deer are as long as it's standing. Of course, it can be a good thing when it's on YOUR property but it's a bad thing when it's on a neighbors property!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd rather not have the standing corn,even thoughthere are advantages to it
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys I have read your storiesabout your pathetic little corn patches. Try pulling the bucksout of two thousand acres of the stuff.Them bucks don't do to much fighting or breeding in the standing corn. There is usually a main route that a mature buck will use to exit and enter the corn. Walk the edges before season and try and find it. If you climb to about 25 feet you can see them moving thru the corn.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my situation..Some corn is very good. Too much corn is very bad. This year I'm looking at a good crop. I have about 30 acres of corn on my best farm with another 55 acres on a neighboring farm. I'm looking at this as a positive year in this area.. As someone said with corn you know where they are at.

Now in 2005 I had sooo much corn on all sides..I knew where they were alright, problem was they could move all around from place to place in the cover of that corn. Sightings were way down.

Quick Reply: Standing corn.....Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.