Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you feel bad placing restrictions?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Would you feel bad placing restrictions?

If I have others hunt with me, this year....I'm going to want them to adhere to the management plan I have implemented for myself.

Is this overstepping hunters' "etiquette"? I'm not saying they can't shoot a buck, at all......but he'd need to be 3.5 or older.

Honestly.....would YOU feel short-changed if I invited you to hunt with me......and gave you "restrictions"?

Just curious?

There's also "a" possibility that I might see a 2.5yr old that "I" feel like taking at some point in the year (I saw a nice 1.5yr old 8 pointer, last year,that shoud be a great deer for these parts, this season). He'll simply be hard to pass up.....if he's a larger racked deer than I shot, last year. I'm just being honest.

Would it bother you if I put those restrictions on YOU.....but didn't follow them to the letter, myself?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you feel bad placing restrictions?

If we were hunting your own land or private land that you have paid to lease for hunting then you have a say.
On public land your suggestions would be considered and maybe followed but the actual choice would be mine.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 AM

If it's your land, I play by your rules and just feel fortunate to be able to hunt. I may take a 5 year old monster. I may have to pass on a nice 2.5 year old. Either way, its quality time on stand or in the blind.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I would have no standing to ask this of you on public land.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not at all.

Its your property, dont let someones feelings keep you from managing it the way you want.

Plus, if explained properly they shouldnt mind.

I just hate when people dont follow the rules....[:@]
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll be trying to kill two birds with one stone, this year (OK, three).

1 - I'm giving someone who might not have as good a chance at harv....OK...killing a doe a great opportunity to put some venison in their freezer.

2- I'm garnering some assistance in thinning the doe herd.

3- I'm giving someone a chance at a nice deer that they might not otherwise be privy to (a mature buck).

I would hope no one would take this as a slap in the face (the restrictions)......but I have no experience with the subject matter.

I have friends that will hunt with me.....with NO restrictions....because I know they know my goals....and I trus ttheir judgement. I have others that might hunt with me that will be given "guidelines".
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good question, its one that i deal with often. I own 50 acres that i allow one other person to hunt on with me and take another friend there a couple times a year. The rule to hunt my property is you must kill a doe for every buck you take and can only take a max of 2 bucks a season. We try to hold out for 3.5 year olds but if its a really nice 2.5 he is allowed. So far we havent had any problems and i believe thats cause first off, my buddy is a good guy and agrees with what the rules are and secondly i have made it clear that if he doesnt follow those rules that he cant hunt there anymore.
I also hunt a different property that my friend has permission to hunt. He has set rules that i need to follow. I realize that i dont have to follow them, but if i break them im not hunting there anymore, that simple. I have to shoot a doe there before i can take a buck and if its a buck, it has to be atleast 3.5 years old and be atleast 115 inches, which is a nice buck for here.
Ultimately you are being generous and allowing people to hunt with you on your land. They should respect your wishes and follow your rules. If they have a problem with that, they dont have to hunt with you. Its that simple imo.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 AM

I view what you are doing and your reasons as a great way to help somone out and further promote bowhunting. I pity the fool that would not take you up on the opportunity to "kill" a doe, even if he had to pass up several nice 2.5 year old bucks that were with her. It's really like your birthday and Christmas being wrapped up into one, that's what it is, when someone offers you a chance to arrow any mature whitetail.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty simple...if your letting them hunt the land, then they follow your rules.

They should be happy that you put them in position to possibly see a mature buck. You did the hard work (scouting and hanging stands, etc), the least they should do is obey your requests.

If they were smart, they would follow your requests with no questions asked...that is if they ever want to get invited back.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I don't see any problem with you imposing some ground rules for the property you have permission on. In fact, I think it would be foolish to share the property without first laying ground rules.

My buddies and I will even ask each other to hold off on our good spots on public land so it doesn't get over pressured. Obviously, there is nothing to stop someone from hunting it, but out of respect and friendship we oblige.

Quick Reply: Would you feel bad placing restrictions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.