Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys, I have seen the light

Old 06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default Guys, I have seen the light

These forums have taught me alot. One of my biggest facts that I have learned from forums and proshops is that you gain no speed ,or very little with a 70# setup over a 60# setup, due to the heavier arrow weight required from the heavier spined arrow. You only gain more kinetic energy from the 70# arrow but with a 60# setup you are still over 15 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy needed for bear, elk, or caribou and over 25 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy for a whitetail deer. A 60# bow will kill anything that walks the North American continent. Considering that 90% of all bowhunters will never shoot anything larger than a whitetail deer, these heavy poundage bows are just not necessary. Years ago when bows were not efficient at delivering and producing energy, maybe 70# was a great merit in a bow; but not with these new modern bows. I have been shooting my Bowtech Tribute peaked at 61# and it is just a joy to shoot all day compared to the Hoyt Vectrix peaked at 72#. I can pull back 70# with ease but in cold weather with stiff muscles, a persons body may not perform as well. Well, I traded my Vectrix for a 60# Bowtech Guardian friday and couldn't be happier!!!!!! My 29" Guardian peaked at 62# is shooting my 28" 394 grain A/C/C arrow at 273 fps. Since noise travels at 1128 fps it is way more important to have a bow as quiet as possible IMO. I have never heard a 70# bow shoot as quiet as a 60# bow. Bows also perform the best at their peak weight and so many guys have a 70# bow and have it turned down in poundage and are not getting the full performance from their bow like they could. I have seen the light with these 60# bows and will never go back
[/align][/align][/align]My Tribute and Guardian[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]I equipped my Guardian with a Trophy Taker pronghorndrop [/align]away, a Black Gold Radiant sight, anda Doinker stabilizer.[/align][/align][/align]Free Shirt my Dealer Boyd of Buck Hollow Sports in Pella, IA gave me.[/align]
Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guys, I have seen the light

ok.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

ok.
LMAO!! How's the racing?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:26 PM

I like my 70# bow.

Glad you like your 60# bow.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I figured out sometime ago that heavy poundage is overkill for deer.I am hunting at 58#'s and have been for some time.Heck,I even use expandables and have no problems with complete passthroughs and that is only with a 28 1/2" draw.Of course I use small cut Rocket Steelheads.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still think I'll keep my 70#er. Maybe when I get as old as you I will have to drop down to 60#s too. Just Kidding Don

I just like to have a little insurance built into my shot. Same reason I use a 12 ga 3 1/2"instead of a 20ga when I ues a shotgun on turkeys.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like the bows, and also shoot a 60# tribute.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Like the rigs...I split the difference and shoot at 66. Good luck this season.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed that my own preference towards peak weight seems to get less and less every season. Even just a few years ago I was convinced that I had to have a 70# rig but these days I really like a 63# to 65# rig, especially during a cold Midwest winter! I have plenty of speed and KE, can shoot it with impressive accuracy after drawing and holding in any shooting position and it's nearly silent at the shot. I'm with ya man
Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still think I want the extra "oomph" to give me the best possibly chance to blow through a shoulder bone if I hit a touch forward; but I make sure as well I'm not over-bowed in that thought process -- I can pull my bow easily, smoothly, without "skying" it while sitting cross-legged on the ground.

I did just get in a brand-new Constitution for my venture into 3D shooting... and I got it in 60 lbs. I figure there'll be days and courses where I'm shooting her a lot, and the combination of 60 plus the smoothness of the Constitution is really gonna make this a pleasureable bow!!

Quick Reply: Guys, I have seen the light

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.