Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys, I have seen the light

Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Banned

Default RE: Guys, I have seen the light

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

but with a 60# setup you are still over 15 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy needed for bear, elk, or caribou and over 25 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy for a whitetail deer

Don, forgive me for not understanding your stated numbers here. Are you really telling me that it takes more KE for a deer than it does an Elk or Caribou?

I am glad you like that new setup of yours. Earlier this year, that Guardian was calling my name!! But I resisted temptation and will wait a couple of years before I upgrade.
No. A Deers' recommended kineteic setup is 40 ft pounds. A black bear, a brown bear, elk, or caribou is 50 ft pounds. My 60# set up exceeds the deer requirements by 25 ft pounds and the brown bear, black bear, elk, cariboubig game setup by 15 ft pounds. Here is a kinetic calculator that figures your setup for you.
http://www.archeryexchange.com/information/info_pages/kinetic/kinteic-calculator.shtml
Old 06-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I still think I want the extra "oomph" to give me the best possibly chance to blow through a shoulder bone if I hit a touch forward;
Guys on the corporate Bowtech shooting staff are suppossed to shoot behind the shoulder, not through it.You can hit a dime at 60 yds but shoot forward at the average 15 yd or less bowkill on a whitetail??
Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, Don... It's not a dime; it's a quarter. It's a dime for Matt...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ahh...I see what you are saying.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Ive been shooting 70lbs for the last4 years with my bowtech patriot. It doesnt seem like its hard to pull for me, however I have lost some accuracy since I have started using this bow compared to my previous bow which was at 63lbs and was a sniper with. ( With my old bow,XIMilesKeller Impact Plus, I never missed or wounded an animalin 16 kills, since I got my Bowtech I have missed 2 and wounded atrophy buck last year-front shoulder). I havekilled some nice deerwith the Bowtech, but in the times I have missed I cant figure out why and have noticed a change while target shooting. Iwas wondering this year if I should have the poundage reduced. I do hunt in temps around 0degrees here in MN late season and it makes it different to draw a bow. I think your post is convincing me totry this change.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this may sound condescending. However, if you stretch regularly and work out your shoulders will thank you no matter what you do.

It seems like the only workout that is done is drawing a bow and then guys wonder why their shoulders are shot. You are only working certain muscle groups while others are ignored. Plus repetative motion lifting isn't good for the joints that are used. This can cause as much or more problems to the shoulders than drawing heavy weight.

Stretch regularly and at least do push ups and the shoulders will last a long time. Even if you shoot 40#'s all the time this is a good idea.