Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys, I have seen the light

Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guys, I have seen the light

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I still think I want the extra "oomph" to give me the best possibly chance to blow through a shoulder bone if I hit a touch forward; but I make sure as well I'm not over-bowed in that thought process -- I can pull my bow easily, smoothly, without "skying" it while sitting cross-legged on the ground.

I did just get in a brand-new Constitution for my venture into 3D shooting... and I got it in 60 lbs. I figure there'll be days and courses where I'm shooting her a lot, and the combination of 60 plus the smoothness of the Constitution is really gonna make this a pleasureable bow!!
Greg how many bows is that for younow? Since you are on the Bowtech staff do you just call them up and say..."Hey canyou send me a Constitution." If so, consider me jealous . I guess we all know why you haven't been posting as much....too many toys to play with.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite tournament bow back in the dark ages (late 80's) was an 80# Hoyt ProVantage with Carbon+ limbs and E-wheels. My last Hoyt was a 60# ProTec with LXPro limbs and Accuwheels. Very similar setups. Same axle to axle length but the ProTec has a 2" lower brace height. The newer, more advanced and more efficient ProTec shot the same exact arrow the same exact speed as my old ProVantage.

I would have hunted anything in North America and most of Africa with my old ProVantage. Why would I not do the same with my ProTec, considering it gives me identical performance at 20 lbs less draw weight?

To those who say "If you can pull it, shoot it"... I used to shoot longbows and recurves up to 120 lbs. I had a Martin Cougar XRG that peaked out at 110 lbs. They got the sap shot out of 'em because I could draw them fairly easily and I shot them quite well. Now, though, my shoulders are paying the price for my idiocy. I can barely lift my arms over my head and can hardly draw any bow any longer. Even sleeping is a hassle because my shoulders hurt and throb when I get into a 'wrong' position.

I wish now I'd never shot anything pulling more than 65 lbs.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 AM

when I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you had traded bows again and got a Mathews or a Ross

I say, shoot the poundage you are happy with.
I usually shoot anywhere from 65-70 myself. Depends on the bow and what "feels" right for that setup for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 AM
Host of Hosts

After experiencing what pulling too much weight can do to your shoulders and back I don't buy any bows over 60# either. I thought I could pull 70# easy too and did. That is until one day out of nowhere I was sidelined and missed most of deer season beacuse I wanted to be Hercules and draw 70 lbs. It overkill htese days like Don said. But shoot what you want pay later.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot cranked up to 70 but over the last few years Ive backed off to 62 #s. The older I get the more my old injuries seem to hurt every morning. My buddies son shoots a 50# pull and he has taken several deer since he was strong enough to draw it back.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Banned

go to a 52# recurve shooting a 550 grain arrow 170 fps - generating in the neightborhood of 28-30 footpounds and kill a few animals with it and you quickly realize almost all compounds are high poundage overkilling machines
Old 06-11-2007, 05:43 AM

hch, very proud of you. artp - very sorry to hear about your shoulder issues buddy. i'm 40 now, quit pulling 70# a bit over a year ago - and its thanks to you and a couple others arthur, and i really appreciate how candid you've been about your shoulders.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you like the 60# and it works for you. You make a valid point on speeds and such but too each their own.

By comparison:
65 mph on a 883CC Harley is the same as 65 MPH on a 1600cc Harley......[8D]
Old 06-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

.By comparison:
65 mph on a 883CC Harley is the same as 65 MPH on a 1600cc Harley......[8D]
Yep, they too would both kill a deer and the rider equally dead when they meet each other.[8D]
Old 06-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

but with a 60# setup you are still over 15 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy needed for bear, elk, or caribou and over 25 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy for a whitetail deer

Don, forgive me for not understanding your stated numbers here. Are you really telling me that it takes more KE for a deer than it does an Elk or Caribou?

I am glad you like that new setup of yours. Earlier this year, that Guardian was calling my name!! But I resisted temptation and will wait a couple of years before I upgrade.

Quick Reply: Guys, I have seen the light

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.