Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

I mentioned the other day that our bow shop owner asked me to come down and help the local news station film a short segment on hunting/archery, last week.

Another post got me to thinking about this.....so...

During the segment....we were discussing some shots we had taken at a 3D target. Our bow shop owner was pointing out that even though the shot in question didn't score well (scoring rings)...it was a perfect kill shot.

Stop the tape.

The TV guys is an avid sportsman. He's a hunter. He kills deer. But he also knows this is going on television.....and the use of the word "kill" is AVOIDABLE.

So we find ourselves in a dilemma. Do we stick to our guns and speak of the blood and guts and gore that we all know hunting is......or.....do we find a diplomatic approach that will still get our point across....and possibly enhance our way of life (i.e. hunting) by promoting it to some that may not know what it brings us.

It's not selling out, guys.....it's diplomacy. The end result is.....we got a nice segment out to the public that will hopefully shed a good light on us as a whole. I'll take that over pissing someone off just to prove a point.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 AM

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

I think the word "harvest" began being used as a way of de-sensitizing us to what we are really doing. I also believe that on some ranches deer are grown to be shot, much like a field of grain is planted, so harvest is used......It's BS though, if you ask me. I think that by playing down what we are really doing, and being "politically correct" about it, we are playing right into the hands of the activists......

I use the word kill, and will NEVER use the word harvest when speaking about hunting. The animal was living when it walked past, I shot an arrow through it's lungs, and now it's dead. Plain and simple, I killed it, and by God I am proud of it.

I'm not saying we need to be disrespectful and use all the gore and such associated with it. Folks don't need to hear about the blood coming out of it's nose, how the deer staggered around for a second before it collapsed and all that......I think that's disrespectful to the animal as well, but killing a deer is an acceptable thing to do. There's absolutely NO reason to be ashamed of it or to downplay it in any way. Let's call it what it is.

Anyway, I could go on for DAYS about this one, but I can only type so fast. Besides, ya'll are only gonna read so much anyway, so that's all I have to say about that.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Jeff. I work at a small liberal arts university and most people on campus know I'm a hunter. Most are curious, most are accepting and grateful when I provide venison at staff get togethers. Some however will never accept or understand my passion. I could use an aggressive, confrontational approach with these people. To what end? Could I hope to accomplish anything? Am I being a "sellout" if I choose to be PC and not not use language these people find offensive? I don't think so. Why make someone that dislikes what I do dislike me as a person as well? I get along with the antis where I work because I want a harmonious workplace and I want to work there for a long time.
I will continue to be "PC" at work and in other areas. If I say harvest instead of kill what real difference does it make when we all know we are talking about the same thing. I just don't see the point in antagonizing someone just to, "stick to my guns". Antis may believe I am a bloodthirsty killer when in the woods. When out of the woods I may be able to make them believe I am an articulate professional with passions that differ from those they persue.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Mobo.....

Then 1 of 2 things would have occurred if you'd been there instead of me.

1) They would have gotten someone else to do the segment

or

2) It wouldn't air with that word in it.

Is it worth risking the segment not be run......and miss out on a good opportunity to tell others about our passion? That's not very smart in my book.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:54 AM

GM, I understand what you're saying, and you're right, that's exactly what would have happend. If you wouldn't have said it the way they wanted you to, they would have found someone else. In that regards I understand and my previous post wasn't intended to discredit you an any way, and I apologize if it sounded like it was.

Here's my thing, and this is just me I guess. That's my moral belief, and I am going to stick by that. If that were me, and again I'm not trying to insinuate that you were wrong, but if I would have been in that position I would have told them they would have to find someone else then. My feelings and beliefs are what they are, and if they don't like it.....Well, I just really don't care. I'm not changing just because they think I should......Not advise, just my personal belief.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I think using the word kill wouldn't be wrong in a country that practices freedom of speech, what happens to cows and pigs, livestock that's killed for meat ? it gets butchered right ?

In my humble opinion, I think you would respect the meat served on your table far more if you knew what it took to get it there, even if that means blood and gore....

F.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Farmers harvest. Hunters kill. I don't eat things that are still alive. I feel it is cruel to grill something before it is dead. That is inhumane. Who cares what the "others" think ? I say what I mean, and mean what I say. I will never lie or try to cover up what I do. No offense but, are you embarassed or ashamed to call yourself a hunter? I sure as hell don't carry my bow into the woods to do any of my prey any favors. I think it is disrespectful to your game to say they were harvested. If it was me I would rather be killed than harvested. A wise man once said "You have to kill it before you grill it!"
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wording is sooo important, we knowwe're killing, but sometimes usingdifferant terminology goes a long way.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Even farmers send their livestock to a slaughter house, not a harvest house. I know one guy/family on here that will agree with me.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is what it is. Im not going to try to put up a smoke screen for non-hunters. You will get more respect from honesty.Kill away.

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.