Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

.........be proud of being a hunter.............
I think everyone in this thread is proud of being a hunter. Just because we may be considerate of other people does not mean we are any less proud than you.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff I completely undersatnd why you made the decision that you did to take it out and I think that you made the right one. That being said to me it will always be killing no matter who's listening. I've been through the verbal battles in my life with thePC people at work always asking "Did you harvest anything" or even better "Did you catch anything". I always just answer "No but I did Kill one".
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok

Does anyone really think when a person says "Harvest" someone thinks well at least they did not kill it[&:]

Harvest is just a tone down word for kill, it really is not that big of deal. Hell I just say I got one now The way I talk about hunting at work is way different than with you guys or at my club. Does that make me less of a hunter at work? No just means my mom and dad rasied me to be respectiful to others

There are "other" topics at work folks tone down, I sure in hell do not want to hear them in non-toned down mode

Respect goes both ways, we will come out farther ahead by respecting non-hunters than the ARA. The big hang up with ARA to most is.... They do not respect anyone views but their own.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Ok

Does anyone really think when a person says "Harvest" someone thinks well at least they did not kill it[&:]

Harvest is just a tone down word for kill, it really is not that big of deal. Hell I just say I got one now The way I talk about hunting at work is way different than with you guys or at my club. Does that make me less of a hunter at work? No just means my mom and dad rasied me to be respectiful to others

There are "other" topics at work folks tone down, I sure in hell do not want to here them in non-toned down mode

Respect goes both ways, we will come out farther ahead by respecting non-hunters than the ARA. The big hang up with ARA to most is.... They do not respect anyone views but their own.
Yep, thats about it for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the hunting season could'nt get here soon enough.
You guys are all losing your freakin marbles!! [&:]
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Germ has stated is very similar to my comments six or seven pages ago.Courtesy,consideration,for those who do not have our backrounds,or who have no familiarity with actually killing what they eat.
I respect those who "believe" they are giving in to their principle's by not using the word kill regardless of who their audience is,but I don't agree with it.
I have had this happen,I have secured permission to hunt on prime private land in my area,but there have been conditions attached,such as no weekend hunting because either my wife or myself do not want to see a dead animal,or make sure you leave not a trace of the dead animal in the woods,don't drag an animal out this way because my children may see you and it would be upsetting to them.
Would you have schooled these people on the harsh realities of nature and told them that you were going to do as you darn well please?
A little consideration goes a long way,especially in more populated area's of the country.
It seems like a lot of those who will not yield to their use of words are from area's of the country where it is either extremely rural,or hunting is a predominant or integral part of their communities culture.
I am by far the minority in a lot of ways in the primarily second home owners from New York City,primarily democrat part of New York state that I come from.Not being considerate of non hunters would be land access suicide for me.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I can make a pie chart that shows the statistics I want to show.

And besides....46.87% of all statistics are made up...on the spot.

What the colorado ski industry comparison DOESN'T tell you.....is that the majority of the monies generated by ski slopes goes where??????

TO THE OWNERS OF THE SKI SLOPES......private companies and/or individuals. The $$ generated via hunting licenses/fees goes to the state. The notion that the hunting industry brings in more money to the state than the ski industry is likely both misleading AND useless information. Take away the money poured into the economy of the state of Colorado via the skiing industry.....and tell me what THAT number is. Add up all the monies made by the private companies (slope and resort owners).....the ski shops.....the hotels.....the restaurants.....and then we'll talk apples and apples.

At $500 a license/fee........the numbers stated would have 26 MILLION huntersutilizing the state of Colorado. Make the fees a $1K....and that's 13 MILLION hunters. Double the fees.....and it's still an astronomical number. I'd like to know how these numbers were derived at before I take them as "gospel".

And besides.....it has nothing to do with the thread subject. Hunting rights have already been rescinded in some states when it comes to some species. Never say "never".
Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Truthfully, I have a lotof respect for a non-hunting individual who has the presence of mind and decency to ask me how my season has been going, or talk to me about what I do. If I think it's better to sugar-coat my time in the woods by using PC terminology, then I do it. Like I said, I have respect for those individuals, and I treat them accordingly.

Makes no difference to me what anyone does or saysor why they do it. They make their own beds. I make mine. If people want to sound likeinbred whitetail cavemanmercenaries, that's their prerogative.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

This is a good one. I think we all know what happens to the deer we shoot in the field. Why sugarcoat it right? I dont see a problem with changing a word to lessen the potential blow back from a utopian PC blowhard. Lets face it, we live in a PC world and GMMAT used a word that is less abrasive to those who really cant handle it. I definately wouldnt feel bad about changing the word GMMAT. Im glad you did the segment.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now without reading all the posts,

I think the use of the term "harvest" is over used although I will use it from time to time.

Take Drury's...they'll use it 10 times in one sentence or statement. What I like to do is use other terms including kill and not limited to,

tagged
took
shot
downed
dropped
recovered
etc but you see my point.

I tagged this deer, I took this buck, I shot and downed etc...etc....including kill.

But that's my 2 penny's.

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.