Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

I thought we were going to lose our hunting rights if we didn't use the word harvest instead of kill? I was told this in my Politically Correct thread that went 18 and some pages this winter.Can we show blood in our pics yet or are we suppossed to be ashamed of a pic if there is some damn blood in it and run it through the shredder? I am usually pretty easy to pick out in a crowd. I have the I don't give a flying $#@$look on my face.I won't water down or roll overand be PC because some pantywaste sissies sat around one day in a tea room and came up with the word harvest instead of kill.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Bruce ...... give me a break .... you are fooling yourself if you think saying harvest instead of kill is going to make any difference ..... and your examples are a bit extreme friend ......
PT.....what I like about us is.....we can agree to disagree. The entire premise of the thread was a real life incident. If we wanted this segment to air....we couldn't say "kill". Now....when you weigh your "principles".......how much does the segment not running weigh?

We sometimes have a tough row to hoe with people who don't understand and appreciate our passion. I had a chance to try and shed a little insight on what and why we do things. I jumped on it.

The fact that we had to change a word outweighed maybe not getting it aired.

Now....admittedly....the segment probably still runs if we'd left it in there......it just would have been edited out. At least "harvest" lets 'em know we're killin', right!!...

Just kidding. I think this subject is VERY polarizing. I know you guys are sincere about your beliefs. I won't belittle that, at all. And I won't call you names becausewe don't see eye to eye. Just know that those of us on the other side are equally convinced we're being "diplomatic" in lieu of being a "sell out". There's no wrong approach. It just might not match your beliefs.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I think the example you provide is unique because you were referring to a shot on a foam target. You can convey the same message that despite the shot did not score well it was a good shot in so many different ways that the word kill is not necessary.

With that being said, I try to kill every deer I'm shooting at. On the other hand, if I know the word kill is going to offend someone I will respect their feelings and try to avoid using it. If I accidentally offend someone by using the work kill without knowing it would offend them I would apologize for offending them because that was not my intent, but I would make no bones about the fact that killing is what I did.

To me it's more about respecting peoples' feelings than sticking to my guns. Why upset someone with something as silly as a word. Granted, it is silly for them to let a word upset them, but if I can avoid hurting someone's feelings by measuring my words carefully, then why not? As long as someone would pay me the same respect I think a person is more important than a word. Plus, that respect may open a dialogue where the person can learn more about what drives us as hunters.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I thought we were going to lose our hunting rights if we didn't use the word harvest instead of kill? I was told this in my Politically Correct thread that went 18 and some pages this winter.Can we show blood in our pics yet or are we suppossed to be ashamed of a pic if there is some damn blood in it and run it through the shredder? I am usually pretty easy to pick out in a crowd. I have the I don't give a flying $#@$look on my face.I won't water down or roll overand be PC because some pantywaste sissies sat around one day in a tea room and came up with the word harvest instead of kill.
I am not feeling you here HCH
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I understand why you changed the wording from what you wanted to say, I can't say that I would have done the same thing or that I think it is the right thing do do.

The constant watering down version of Hunting and "killing" animals is pointless imo. We are not doing anyhing wrong. It's legal and the truth is animals DIE when we are successful. Why call it harvest? What is the point? We all talk about making a good clean ethical "kill" so that the animal does not suffer. That is the truth in what we do and why you were practicing in June. Why not tell that story?

Changed the words to meet other agenda's is a mistake imo.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Gus...the "point" is....he wasn't going to let the segment air with that word in it. So...we had "choices". Say "harvest"....and everyone STILL knows the animal died (and we get to cast the light WE wanted to cast on our obsession)...... stick to our (some of us)"convictions".......have him edit it....OR...risk him having someone else do the spot.

We wanted to do the spot.

Hunting "won". Archery "won". NO losers. I don't feel any less a man or a hunter for doing what I felt was the most responsible thing to do in the situation.

The Pittsburgh Pirates had a facial hair rule a few years ago. Wanna play on that team.....keep yourself clean-shaven. Your choice. Stick to your convictions....and play elsewhere. Your choice.

In my mind....I made the right choice.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:13 AM

yeah you have to keep the "kill" word out of it
Old 06-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gus...the "point" is....he wasn't going to let the segment air with that word in it. So...we had "choices". Say "harvest"....and everyone STILL knows the animal died (and we get to cast the light WE wanted to cast on our obsession)...... stick to our (some of us)"convictions".......have him edit it....OR...risk him having someone else do the spot.
I said I understand why you did it and I also understand that had you not changed your words.............well you would have lost the opportunity to speak on TV about our passion.

I understand that we live in a world of compromise. It's up to us to decide if we make a contribution or not. I choose not in this case.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Gus....

I understand it's that important to a lot of you guys.

Respect.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

I found this statement from Iamyourhuckleberry very interesting as once again showing why we don't have to worry about being PC and worrying about what the non-hunting public thinks. Here is his quote from the Non-resident fee thread by Greg/MO:

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry
Now, let me shed some light. In Colorado, Our hunting industry generates $13 billion/year. That's $6 billion more than our ski industry (if you can believe that). Can you imagine the lose of revenue if Colorado changed their current game laws? Do you think the politicians will allow such an event to occur?

End of quote.

More $$ than skiing even. IMO, be proud of being a hunter and state these types of economic figures to the non-hunting public. We kill and it keeps your tax dollars down Mr. or Mrs. non-hunter and it is also the only viable way to keep animal populations in check.

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.