Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

apples and oranges my friend .... you are talking about cussing and racial slurrs ... this convo is about using the word kill .... which is what we do ....
I thought the convo was about using word(s) that may offend other people. In this case it would be kill instead of harvest. It is still about words that may offend others.
You're really grasping at straws here, Bruce.
The only thing I am trying to grasp here is, if you will modify your language and not cuss in front of someone because you do not want to offend them, is why you will intentionally offend someone because you want to say kill instead of harvest.
Honestly?

Because I don't care. It isn't the same situation at all, and the fact that you think it is really amuses me. We aren't intentionally trying to offend someone, either. We're just not purposely changing the way we think/feel/speak in order to please someone else.

Anti-hunters don't call us murderers because we're "harvesting" animals.

Would we put a serial killer on death row for "harvesting" human beings? Yes.

Why?

Because he killed them.

Ohmygoodness Dan, what an extreme example. We're talking about animals here, not human beings!
So, offensive words aren't the same situation at all? You don't purposely change the way you talk when your in front of your parents from the way you talk when your in front of your friends? When you grow up you will see that words can be very powerful, the same words can bring some to tears, some to anger and some to laughter. It just depends on who you say them in front of. Like you. You find my words amusing. Others find my words thought provoking and others find my words a little infuriating. Same words, just a different effect on different people.
Because in my 19 years of life I have yet to realize this.

I'm done with the argument after that comment. Its obvious that my stance won't be taken seriously because I haven't "grown up."

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It just depends on who you say them in front of. Like you. You find my words amusing. Others find my words thought provoking and others find my words a little infuriating. Same words, just a different effect on different people.
So if you know your words have infuriated some, why did you use THEM, but you wouldn't use the word KILL??
I don't mind infuriating a few folks, I just hope I haven't offended anyone .
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Killing is what we do ... there is NOTHING wrong with it ..... why on earth does it offend? Cussing IS wrong, being defined by the fact that you will NOT do it in front of everybody ....
No, you don't cuss in front of everybody because you don't want to offend them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cussing we just don't do it in front of everyone because we mayupset someone.
No, I believe it to be wrong, and I don't do it in front of anyone.

If you knew that talking about killing in front of a class of second graders would upset them would you still do it?
I teach in a private school, and when I come back with a deer from hunting, all my 2nd graders, as well as the whole school, come running and ask me what I killed it with ...... I don't know any 2nd graders it would offend ....in fact, they think it's cool ...
Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Dan touched on it, and rarely is the day I give him credit, but hey.....

I don't say the word "kill" to intentionally offend anyone......If in the process I do, I don't really give a hoot, but I don't do it thinking I am going to tick someone off. But I'm not going to deliberately change my wording for fear of offending someone........Besides, it can't be done anyway. You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of time. Someone's gonna be offended somewhere in most cases.

When I was younger I did alter the way I spoke in front of my parents, but only because they would whoop my arse.....Fear of not being able to sit down for a week CAUSED me to change my wording.....

Being older in life I've learned to not really care if someone agrees or disagrees with me. True, some folks feelings matter to me more than others, but I'm not going to change my beliefs or language to please them.

GMMAT phrased his "speech" the way he felt was right. I can roll with that, but that's not the way I roll. Wow, that's got a nifty ring to it.....[8D]
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killing is what we do ... there is NOTHING wrong with it ..... why on earth does it offend? Cussing IS wrong, being defined by the fact that you will NOT do it in front of everybody ....
No, you don't cuss in front of everybody because you don't want to offend them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cussing we just don't do it in front of everyone because we mayupset someone.

If you knew that talking about killing in front of a class of second graders would upset them would you still do it?
I teach in a private school, and when I come back with a deer from hunting, all my 2nd graders, as well as the whole school, come running and ask me what I killed it with ...... I don't know any 2nd graders it would offend ....in fact, they think it's cool ...
Not what I asked you. I asked, If you knew it would upset them would you do it anyway.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I don't say the word "kill" to intentionally offend anyone......
Would you say the word "kill" to intentionally offend someone?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:51 PM

If you knew it would upset them would you do it anyway

I would maybe choose a different topic.... Yes, I would. Truth is truth, and that truth is sometimes upsetting, but it's still the truth. I would talk to them on their level, though, and not include any of the gore.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not what I asked you. I asked, If you knew it would upset them would you do it anyway.
not a real situation ....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I don't say the word "kill" to intentionally offend anyone......
Would you say the word "kill" to intentionally offend someone?
Intentionally? No. That would be vindictive. But I'm not going to use the word "harvest" to avoid it either. You can say you killed something and be quite respectful about it. I think if you sound more barbaric than repsectful, that's where the offense comes in.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

GMMAT, don't be the , what am I looking for, oh, don't be the wuss.

I think you did what "you" wanted to do because you wanted to get a message to someone. OK, but that does not mean that everyone has to be so "easy" just to be accepted to the public eye/ear. I have to agree with mobow on this one. I have lived in the country all my life and just about everyone for miles either hunts or fishes. They have always heard the word kill and have accepted it as a way of life. It's the panty-waisted Nancy-girl attitudes of these activists groups that have blurred the minds of people all along. Culture is one thing. The truth is another. If people who grew up in the city shielded from lifes cruel game of survival, then let them remain shielded if that is what they want. Predatorism is not a human against human scenario, but let the gangsta street "killing" be on the evening news and nobody gives a damn how many times the word "kill" is used. Let someone make a hunting video with the words "kill shot" in it and it gets no airplay. This says the truth about what is going on in our society. Nuff Said.

LT
LT, well said.

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.