Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

apples and oranges my friend .... you are talking about cussing and racial slurrs ... this convo is about using the word kill .... which is what we do ....
I thought the convo was about using word(s) that may offend other people. In this case it would be kill instead of harvest. It is still about words that may offend others.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff I wouldnt be all broke up if I wasnt allowed on the boob tube due to my choice of words.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

apples and oranges my friend .... you are talking about cussing and racial slurrs ... this convo is about using the word kill .... which is what we do ....
I thought the convo was about using word(s) that may offend other people. In this case it would be kill instead of harvest. It is still about words that may offend others.
You're really grasping at straws here, Bruce.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was a young boy I spent the night with a city boy class mate and we were out plinking around in his back yard with our BB guns. A BlueJay landed in the neighbor ladys back yard andI shot and killed it. I heard this awfull scream and the lady came out clearly in distress and crying. It was the wrong thing to do but even as an 8 year old boy I never forgot the pain I had caused her. ( and the ass whopping I got from Dad) As I grew older and thought about the expierence I realized she loved the bird (animals) as much as I did hunting and eating them. Call it PC or what ever you want butif I'm inpresence of someone that doesn't believe in hunting I will consider their feelings before I open my fat mouth.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

The only thing I am trying to grasp here is, if you will modify your language and not cuss in front of someone because you do not want to offend them, is why you will intentionally offend someone because you want to say kill instead of harvest.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:24 PM

The only thing I am trying to grasp here is, if you will modify your language and not cuss in front of someone because you do not want to offend them, is why you will intentionally offend someone because you want to say kill instead of harvest.
Honestly?

Because I don't care. It isn't the same situation at all, and the fact that you think it is really amuses me. We aren't intentionally trying to offend someone, either. We're just not purposely changing the way we think/feel/speak in order to please someone else.

Anti-hunters don't call us murderers because we're "harvesting" animals.

Would we put a serial killer on death row for "harvesting" human beings? Yes.

Why?

Because he killed them.

Ohmygoodness Dan, what an extreme example. We're talking about animals here, not human beings!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Killing is what we do ... there is NOTHING wrong with it ..... why on earth does it offend? Cussing IS wrong, being defined by the fact that you will NOT do it in front of everybody ....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly?

Because I don't care. It isn't the same situation at all, and the fact that you think it is really amuses me. We aren't intentionally trying to offend someone, either. We're just not purposely changing the way we think/feel/speak in order to please someone else.

Anti-hunters don't call us murderers because we're "harvesting" animals.

Would we put a serial killer on death row for "harvesting" human beings? Yes.

Why?

Because he killed them.

Ohmygoodness Dan, what an extreme example. We're talking about animals here, not human beings!
So, offensive words aren't the same situation at all? You don't purposely change the way you talk when your in front of your parents from the way you talk when your in front of your friends? When you grow up you will see that words can be very powerful, the same words can bring some to tears, some to anger and some to laughter. It just depends on who you say them in front of. Like you. You find my words amusing. Others find my words thought provoking and others find my words a little infuriating. Same words, just a different effect on different people.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

It just depends on who you say them in front of. Like you. You find my words amusing. Others find my words thought provoking and others find my words a little infuriating. Same words, just a different effect on different people.
So if you know your words have infuriated some, why did you use THEM, but you wouldn't use the word KILL??
Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killing is what we do ... there is NOTHING wrong with it ..... why on earth does it offend? Cussing IS wrong, being defined by the fact that you will NOT do it in front of everybody ....
No, you don't cuss in front of everybody because you don't want to offend them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cussing we just don't do it in front of everyone because we mayupset someone. If you knew that talking about killing in front of a class of second graders would upset them would you still do it?

Quick Reply: "Kill" / "Harvest" / "PC"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.